Skip to main content

Considering Digidesign 002 + Pro Tools LE 6.4 for windows based system. The difference in price between Digidesign 002 Rack vs Digi 002 non-rack is considerable--about 1200 for rack vs about 2600 for non rack.

I'm new to this. What would be the advantages of one over the other? Thanks.

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Sun, 06/06/2004 - 23:02

Here is some of the advantages with the input pad (non rack version)

1 You mix with faders instead of a damn mouse. This alone is worth it to me. I'm buying one this week. Mixing with a mouse is a pain in the ass after an hour. You get wrist fatige.

2 It can stand alone with no computer at all. Means you don't have to rely on crappy unstable Microsoft Windows

3 You have a portable studio now.

Jonesey Thu, 06/10/2004 - 09:21

I bought the digi 002 before they came out with the rack version. I rarely use the control surface and wish I held out for the rack version. I could have saved alot of money. The biggest advantage to digi 002 surface is it can be used as a stand alone mixer wish can be very useful if you needed a little band practice console.
It's a personal decision, but I'm comforatable with using the mouse.

cruisemates Tue, 06/15/2004 - 10:11

Hi Jonesy...

Interesting post. I KNEW there were people like you out there. I also find I use less of the 002 than I thought I would when I bought it. I love having the faders, transport and a few of the other features, but whether that is worth the additional $1000 over the 002r is really a good question.

It is to me, because I am lucky to have modest needs and a decent paycheck, but for others I am sure they are thinking they could use the mouse and spend the money on something else they need.

Here is the problem. the 002 is not as intuitive and standalone (for recording) as one might expect. It is really just an extension of the PCs mouse and keyboard and many of the things it does you can do just as easily with key commands and the mouse.

The hitch is that you have to learn all those key commands and mousing anyway, and at that point going the next step to learn how to do them on the 002 just seems superfluous - an additonal learning process for something you have already mastered on the keyboard.

I appreciate the ease I have in using the 002, but I didn't NEED it.