Skip to main content

Hey all,

I recently bought this mixer for 2 reasons: 1. In order to plug my keyboard into it and monitor with my Alesis M1 MKII monitors. When plugged straight into the monitors from the keyboard (Kurzweil PC88mx), in order to get enough volume on my keyboard I had to raise the volume on the monitors themselves. 2. When I had a Digi001 setup I used another mixer to plug my mics, keyboard, drum machine, pod into and had the audio routed back through the mixer to the monitors.

Now that I'm getting back into the Audio recording world, I'm looking to buy a pre-amp (2 channels at least) and a converter. Mostly I see myself only recording 2 channels at a time. I thought that I would still use the Mackie to route the signals through and then back to monitor but that seems unnecessary.

So, simple question I guess. Do I really need this mixer and if I went the pre-amp/converter route (think RME FF800)? How would I monitor the audio coming out of the DAW?

Wow, I'm such a newbie. :smile:

Topic Tags

Comments

Big K Tue, 03/08/2011 - 12:24

Rat, it is time that you grab a book and start reading.
Visit the web sites of the manufacturers and their forums.
You have to learn the signal paths, technology and purposes of the devices as well as engineering, anyhow.
Better before buying than afterwards. Nobody can do it all for you. At some point you will have to inform yourself and study.
This profession is one of the most demanding and even if you just want to do it for pastime you need to swott and read the manuals.
Those are often downloadable from the manufacturers.

DesertRat Tue, 03/08/2011 - 12:56

Big K, post: 365902 wrote: Rat, it is time that you grab a book and start reading.
Visit the web sites of the manufacturers and their forums.
You have to learn the signal paths, technology and purposes of the devices as well as engineering, anyhow.
Better before buying than afterwards. Nobody can do it all for you. At some point you will have to inform yourself and study.
This profession is one of the most demanding and even if you just want to do it for pastime you need to swott and read the manuals.
Those are often downloadable from the manufacturers.

Thanks. Yes, I have a lot to learn. Point taken.

x

User login