Skip to main content

Hi,
I apologize in advance if this is not the right place to post this.

I just picked up an IAS Fireface 800 firewire interface and am wondering if using the older (lower-end?) Focusrite Voice Box MKII for vocal channel strip/preamp (before the Fireface) would be a good idea.
This is for a home studio.

I don't have the trained pro-ears or exp, and unfortunately, I don't have a good microphone right now--buying the G5, Logic, and the FW 800 kinda broke the bank. I am posting a mic question in another forum.

Thanks for reading

Comments

anonymous Wed, 07/06/2005 - 02:44

I have 8 Focusrite Green Dual Mic Pre Amp's the same as in the voicebox and I think they are superb. The Green range has a reputation as being budget like the Platinum Range but it is far closer to the Red and ISA Range in the way they sound. I've actually A/B'd my Red Mic Pre against the Green Pre and the difference is very small indeed. I'd have no worries what so ever using the Voicebox.

anonymous Wed, 07/06/2005 - 04:34

You may be interested to know that the retail price of a Green Voicebox when it was available was about equal to that of the Fireface 800. The Green range was an attempt at a lower cost range than the Reds but that does not mean it was cheap and nasty. In fact the truth is quite the opposite. The Green range uses high quality components and the class A op-amp based mic pres offer a very clear and transparent sound. I really advise recording through the Voicebox over the Fireface pres for the best sound.