Skip to main content

Has anyone heard good or bad about theses mics, I'm not looking for no U87 of course, i was just wondering if they would be a good purchase for starter mics for vocals/strings

Also if anyone has any info on the MXL 603s, currently a deal on musiciansfriend.com for both for 200 dollars.

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Mon, 01/07/2008 - 08:18

d-slider wrote: I was also wondering the same thing. Especially if someone could compare it to the AKG Perception 200.

I've ordered this package, expect it to arrive within the next day or so.

The 603s is a "pencil mic" that has been superceded by the 604 (I have two of those, and they are nice instrument mics esp. considering the low cost).

If you're buying stuff for a pro studio, this is the wrong direction to take. If, however, you're equipping a true "home studio" on a budget, as most of us are, these are sound buys. I have the two 604s and a V63 from MXL, and they are great mics for my little home studio. The V63, in particular, has been GREAT for recording "voiceover" stuff for my sunday school class presentation. Just the V63, a hybrid (Tube + SS) preamp and Audacity and it's amazing how good it sounds.

I have heard that the 4000 (which is a Guitar Center/Musician's Friend only model) is basically the same as the MXL 2010, with a few additional bells and whistles, but you'll have to research that for yourself.

I'm afraid I don't have access to the AKG so I can't do an A/B for you there.

anonymous Mon, 01/14/2008 - 11:47

Guitar Center had the MXL 3000 along with a Mogami gold cable, metal windscreen, and shock mount for $199.
Sound like a deal?
The MXL 4000 looks the same as the 3000 except for the pattern switch. That is just more wires in your mic, more connections and paths for the audio to take.
Specs say it is figure 8.

soapfloats Thu, 08/28/2008 - 22:48

I bought this mic about 6 months ago.
Most of my mics are cheap standards (Shure, MXL, Nady, AT, CAD, Blue, etc).
This beats the 9XX MXL models by far. They can be a little harsh and tinny.
In fact, it beats any of my mics for vocals, with one caveat:

I paired it with a TubePre by Presonus and have had great results on vocals!
Warm, smooth sound - fairly neutral still.
For the $200-$300 it costs for the pair, it's a great value.

Not a Neumann, but I probably won't replace the duo unless a ribbon mic is called for, or I get a Neumann and pair it with a high-end preamp.

anonymous Fri, 09/05/2008 - 10:39

Actually, the 4000 is a multi-pattern mic along with a roll-off and pad switch. Cardioid, Figure-8, and Omni patterns. I have a 3000, and I'm very pleased with it. The noise level is non sequitur, and it's got a little added air past 10kHz or so that makes a good vocalist shine. I think the 4000 is a duplicate of the 3000 with extra switches.