Skip to main content

Hey guys,

its good to be in this forums lots of knowledgeable sh*t

To my problem, i bought a MXl 990 and a Blue icicle

This is how its setup

Mxl 990 condenser mic > XLR cable > Blue icicle > USb wire > Pc ( windows 7 )

I checked everywhere and it says icicle is a plug and play device, so why am i having problem ?

The audio recorded is way too low

Untitled (2).wma

Topic Tags

Comments

bouldersound Sun, 05/30/2010 - 15:16

I think you're having two issues.

First, it is normal to record at -18dBFS to -12dBFS peak, at least in 24 bit. That won't sound very loud when played back on a system set up for finished recordings. Perhaps the gain of the Icicle is such that you aren't going to get much more level, but that's okay because you don't need more at this stage of the recording process. You may have to turn up your playback level a lot to hear what you have recorded at a normal volume. Be sure to turn it back down before listening to finished recordings.

The second issue is that you may be speaking into the back side of the mic. The MXL logo should be facing you when you are using the mic.

Here's a test recording I just did with my MXL 990: http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/11/21/2659800/mxl990_test.mp3

anonymous Tue, 06/08/2010 - 18:52

bouldersound, post: 349010 wrote: I think you're having two issues.

First, it is normal to record at -18dBFS to -12dBFS peak, at least in 24 bit. That won't sound very loud when played back on a system set up for finished recordings. Perhaps the gain of the Icicle is such that you aren't going to get much more level, but that's okay because you don't need more at this stage of the recording process. You may have to turn up your playback level a lot to hear what you have recorded at a normal volume. Be sure to turn it back down before listening to finished recordings.

The second issue is that you may be speaking into the back side of the mic. The MXL logo should be facing you when you are using the mic.

Here's a test recording I just did with my MXL 990: http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/11/21/2659800/mxl990_test.mp3

Thanks for your reply but do note i am using MXL 990 with Icicle , well now that problem doesnt occur but i am stuck at new problem. I cannot record myself because of the buzzzz sound, the sound is pretty high and stuff but cant record a thing.

tesr.wav