Skip to main content

I need advice on buying a new set of studio monitors. I'll mainly be doing music mixidowns, and a little film post work and some light mastering jobs. Heres the catch...I don't want to spend over $650.
I'm seriously considering the Tannoy System 600 monitors.
Has anyone heard these? Dones anyone have any suggestions for monitors that would be better?
-thanks

Comments

nandoph8 Wed, 11/10/2004 - 17:58

I like the passive Alesis MKII i believe is what they are called. Although they can fatigue your ears faster than the really expensive ones, they are still great mixdown speakers. I believe the best ones for under 1k. I think they go for like $199 and then you need a power amp. so you should be fine with that budget.

LittleDogAudio Thu, 11/11/2004 - 08:01

I've used Tannoys for years and they are a tricky speaker, all of them. If you "tune" your ears before every session and really get to know Tannoys, they are a joy to work with. You can mix all day long with little fatigue. They are nothing like Genelecs or Mackies. Both of these are super-hyped and tend to make "me" lazy when mixing.

For mixing and post, I still like Yamaha ns-10's. Now I'm sure there will be some people who will say how much they hate these, including me but...

I have not yet found a monitor that allows my mixes to travel as well as ns-10's, I would not dare use them for mastering though.

Monitors are like shoes- each person has to try them on for a while and see how comfortable they are.

This probably didn't answer your question but you've asked a very subjective one and I don't know if there is one answer for you.

Cheers,

Chris

anonymous Thu, 11/11/2004 - 08:37

krk v6's series 2 and you can add a sub later if you want. They're pretty amazing monitors- listened to them the other day and was blown away. For a little more, you can get the dynaudio bm6 passives if you have a nice power amp.

p.s. my first pair of monitors was a passive tannoy setup and they translated terribly.

LittleDogAudio Thu, 11/11/2004 - 09:04

p.s. my first pair of monitors was a passive tannoy setup and they translated terribly.

Isn't it amazing that such a pleasant sounding monitor has such translation issues?

That's why I coveated my statement about the Tannoy's, you've got to really tune your ears and know them biblically or you won't be happy with the results.

Chris

LittleDogAudio Thu, 11/11/2004 - 17:26

I really want ns-10s but don't know where to get them safely

That's a though one. If you got them on Ebay, you will most likely pay dearly for them. Also, they will probably have a blown tweeter or woofer.

But, luckily original spare parts are still quite plentiful (and expensive).

Have you heard about the new Yamaha's with woofers made from Saki bowls? No joke.

Chris

anonymous Sat, 11/13/2004 - 05:33

asp8's blow away every monitor listed, but they're well over $650.
asp8's are some of the best monitors i've ever heard. i got to model them in a studio over the summer that had mackies and genelec 1031's. event was giving them the monitors saying they guarantee they'll like them over the Gen's and mackies.. they did...
everyone that was there said the asp8's were down right awsome and at the price unbeatable..

anonymous Sat, 11/13/2004 - 05:43

under $650,
Tapco S8 or S6 (mackies)
M-audio Bx8
Samson Resolve 80a

thats off the top of my head.. out of the monitors listed and these i'd take the Bx8's over monitor 1's anyday. the tapco's are rather nice for the price too

system 600's.. never used them but i have unsed system 800's and 1000's.. i got great mixes with both

machina Sat, 11/13/2004 - 08:52

nandoph8 wrote: I like the passive Alesis MKII i believe is what they are called. Although they can fatigue your ears faster than the really expensive ones, they are still great mixdown speakers. I believe the best ones for under 1k. I think they go for like $199 and then you need a power amp. so you should be fine with that budget.

After reading countless reviews, I was hard-pressed to find anything bad about the Alesis Monitor One Mk2's. I ended up getting a pair.
Nandoph8, I saw some pics of your studio setup with the Mk2's. I have just one question: How far from the wall behind the monitors do you have them placed? I have mine set about 40" from the floor and about 12" from the wall and the low end seems a little undefined. Any suggestions?

nandoph8 Sat, 11/13/2004 - 09:03

yeah I have mine set about 20" from the wall and probably 4' from the ground. I understand about the low end, but you just have to get used to them. I know it sounds weird but one of my tricks about low end is "watching" the woofer react. And also listening to headphones. But be careful about mixing with headphones! They make everything sound good.

machina Sat, 11/13/2004 - 10:08

It's amazing how even and balanced my mixes sound now. I'm currently working on a mix for a local funk/rock band and I was about to pull my hair out trying to get the bass grooves to stand out but not be too "boomy". I took a session I was tweaking and adjusted it using the Mk2's and I had a final version mixed on the first try.
Good monitors make the job so much easier.

x

User login