Skip to main content

Anyone have an opportunity to A/B these mics?

Topic Tags

Comments

Randyman... Sat, 05/28/2005 - 16:52

Sorry, I have not. I have noticed a striking physical simularity between these 2 mics.

I like the HM-1's on Toms and small combo guitar amps. The HM-1 really does well on low-tuned drums (especially floor toms), and has way more oomph than my D4 dynamic on floor tom. Probably attributed to proximity effect (with the same close placement as the D4), but it works!

So, anyone know if these mics are "sharing" components? The Mic Body and Mic Clip look identical IMO...

:cool:

Kelly Dueck Mon, 05/30/2005 - 15:31

Clarification

Just to clarify, the HM-1 and the AT2020 do not share any components. They are acutally quite different both in terms of capsule design, electronics, size and sonics. Both mics are on the front cover of the June issue of Recording, if you want to get a better idea of how they actually appear next to each other.

(I will not post any other comments regarding the HM-1 and the AT2020. Just wanted to clear up what seems to be a misconception that is out there.)

Kelly Dueck
Kel Audio Inc.

KurtFoster Mon, 05/30/2005 - 15:49

... anyone know if these mics are "sharing" components? The Mic Body and Mic Clip look identical IMO...

The AT2020 is actually larger than the HM-1 ... The clip appears to be the same. I wondered about this myself and my investigation showed the AT2020 has a larger diaphragm than the HM-1.

The thing about the HM-1 is that while it looks like a mid or large diaphragm mic, it really has a small diaphragm. The uniqe thing is the HM-1 is a side address mic, which IMO is what is leading to the confusion.

TheArchitect Mon, 05/30/2005 - 16:06

Re: Clarification

Kelly Dueck wrote: Just to clarify, the HM-1 and the AT2020 do not share any components. They are acutally quite different both in terms of capsule design, electronics, size and sonics. Both mics are on the front cover of the June issue of Recording, if you want to get a better idea of how they actually appear next to each other.

(I will not post any other comments regarding the HM-1 and the AT2020. Just wanted to clear up what seems to be a misconception that is out there.)

Kelly Dueck
Kel Audio Inc.

Thanks for chiming in. Personally I was looking for a sound comparison. I hadn't really noticed that they had a similar appearance. There are just so many mics out there in the under $300 category that its impossible to seperate the wheat from the weeds.

KurtFoster Mon, 05/30/2005 - 17:36

I will say that the Kel HM-1 is not "the weeds" .... You're gonna see these things in major rooms all over the world in the next year or so.

If you want a mic that is pretty bright sounding, the HM-1 is not that. It is not dull either, it's actually remarkably flat.

The AT and other mics of this type usually have some kind of presence lift where the highs ar up a dB or two from about 3 k up ...

As I keep mentioning, the Kel HM-1 is the closest thing I have found yet in terms of the sound to my Neumann U87ai ... I have a hard time telling the 2 apart.

x

User login