Skip to main content

Hey there. I have been looking to get ny first pair of monitors for about a month now and I have been looking at the Alesis M1 Active mkII's the whole time because that is what my Sweetwater rep was recommending. Since then I have found 3 other pairs that I seen to like. I am mixing rock and metal. The 4 monitors I am looking at are the Alesis M1 Active mkII's, the Behringer Truth 2130A, the Mackie MR5, and the Rokkit RP5. I plan on going to Guitar Center to listen to these monitors this weekend. So do any of you have any experiences with these monitors? If so, please tell me about it.

Thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

Guitarfreak Wed, 10/14/2009 - 17:56

I own a pair of Rokit RP5's and I don't have a complaint as of this point in time. I used to have problems with crackling, but I came to the realization that it was the source files and not the monitor creating artifacts of their own. They do what they are meant to and look pretty damn sexy while doing it. They're also pretty loud, about halfway of the total output of my interface the cones begin to visibly move and thump and after two thirds they really begin to pump and move some air. Not that it's all about being loud, but it's a neat party trick anyway. The only thing that is lacking a bit is the high end, it's not bad, but you will notice a dropoff in response after 15KHz or so.

mrb1946 Wed, 10/14/2009 - 18:06

Guitarfreak wrote: I own a pair of Rokit RP5's and I don't have a complaint as of this point in time. I used to have problems with crackling, but I came to the realization that it was the source files and not the monitor creating artifacts of their own. They do what they are meant to and look pretty damn sexy while doing it. They're also pretty loud, about halfway of the total output of my interface the cones begin to visibly move and thump and after two thirds they really begin to pump and move some air. Not that it's all about being loud, but it's a neat party trick anyway. The only thing that is lacking a bit is the high end, it's not bad, but you will notice a dropoff in response after 15KHz or so.

hmm.. ok, thanks for the advice. What kind of music are you mixing?

mrb1946 Wed, 10/14/2009 - 18:20

Guitarfreak wrote: [quote=mrb1946]hmm.. ok, thanks for the advice. What kind of music are you mixing?

I'm all over the place, some acoustic, some rock, some metal. Whatever I feel musically that day.
Alright. I was checking because from what I have read most people are using the Rokits for Hip-Hop and stuff. Do you have the 1st Generation or the 2nd?

Guitarfreak Wed, 10/14/2009 - 18:26

mrb1946 wrote: Alright. I was checking because from what I have read most people are using the Rokits for Hip-Hop and stuff. Do you have the 1st Generation or the 2nd?

I have the G2. I have heard of people using these for hip hop as well, but mostly in home studios. I would attribute that more to the effect of them being a solid yet budget solution for a home studio rather than meant for a certain genre.

apstrong Thu, 10/15/2009 - 00:25

I had the first generation Rokits for several years (RP6s), they served me well on everything from folk to extremely distorted indie rock. For the price, they are very good value. I think Remy had a pair of RP5s at one point, and she's a REAL audio/mastering engineer person. You know, with serious skills. Whichever monitors you choose, learning their quirks, acoustically treating your room, and focusing on improving your general recording technique will have far greater impact on your mixes than choosing rokits over some other budget monitor.

The real test is your ears. Take a CD of music you know like the back of your hand to the store and compare on different monitors. Take a mix of your own that you've listened to a million times and compare - which monitors reveal the things you never heard before? It isn't about which ones make the mix sound better, it's about which ones reveal the good AND the bad, which ones give you the audio information you need to make mixing decisions.

mrb1946 Thu, 10/15/2009 - 04:50

apstrong wrote: I had the first generation Rokits for several years (RP6s), they served me well on everything from folk to extremely distorted indie rock. For the price, they are very good value. I think Remy had a pair of RP5s at one point, and she's a REAL audio/mastering engineer person. You know, with serious skills. Whichever monitors you choose, learning their quirks, acoustically treating your room, and focusing on improving your general recording technique will have far greater impact on your mixes than choosing rokits over some other budget monitor.

The real test is your ears. Take a CD of music you know like the back of your hand to the store and compare on different monitors. Take a mix of your own that you've listened to a million times and compare - which monitors reveal the things you never heard before? It isn't about which ones make the mix sound better, it's about which ones reveal the good AND the bad, which ones give you the audio information you need to make mixing decisions.

Alright. Thanks. What happened to your RP6s?
And I plan on heading to Guitar Center within the next couple days to give these a listen.

anonymous Thu, 10/15/2009 - 09:22

Yamaha HS50m

I've got they Yamaha HS50m and think they are great. They go for $200 each, but I got them to give me a $50 discount at Guitar Center- so $350. I have had them for a few years. This summer I finally got the subwoofer. Now they really sound great. I use them more for everyday computer stuff and music than mixing, but I mix on them, too.

Someone on here said my mixing is total crap and that it sounds like I must be mixing on a boombox, so I can't guarantee good results, but they are better sounding than the RP5 at least they are more detailed. The amps are a lot more powerful, too.

The RP5 isn't junk, but I'd definitely pay $50 more for these. I've seen sales on the RP5 for $100, so then it might be worth it if you want to save some money.

mrb1946 Thu, 10/15/2009 - 14:50

Cucco wrote: I would urge you to consider the new JBL 2xx series. They're $400 for a pair, but after having the chance to play with them for 6 weeks, I'd say (IMO) that they're the best value in monitors on the planet at the moment.

Just a thought.
J.

I can't seem to find the model your talking about. Can you send me a link?

Cucco Thu, 10/15/2009 - 18:22

Okay...the $100 is a potential problem - but I assure you, the power and the lack of biamping is not. Bear in mind, I'm comparing these to:
Adam A7
Dynaudio BM15
Focal Professionals

I'm not comparing these to KRK Rockits. The JBL is not far off from the monitors I just listed. The Rockits are.

robbiusa Thu, 10/15/2009 - 18:29

mrb1946 wrote: [quote=Cucco]http://www.sweetwat…

The only problem I see with these is that they are $100 more than the rokits, they arent bi-amped, theyre only 55 watts, they aren't quite as good looking, and I hear the the KRKs are just like a beast. Thanks though

Not biamped? The link for the JBL says these are 55 watts to the woofer and 35 watts to the tweeter... compared to the KRK's 30 watts and 15 watts.

Also, considering the source for this suggestion I don't think you should be so quick to dismiss the JBL's.

mrb1946 Thu, 10/15/2009 - 18:36

robbiusa wrote: [quote=mrb1946][quote=Cucco]http://www.sweetwat…

The only problem I see with these is that they are $100 more than the rokits, they arent bi-amped, theyre only 55 watts, they aren't quite as good looking, and I hear the the KRKs are just like a beast. Thanks though

Not biamped? The link for the JBL says these are 55 watts to the woofer and 35 watts to the tweeter... compared to the KRK's 30 watts and 15 watts.

Also, considering the source for this suggestion I don't think you should be so quick to dismiss the JBL's.
yeah, i dont know how I missed that the first time. Sorry. I'll definitely put the JBL's in the Guitar Center "listen" list. Thanks

jammster Thu, 10/15/2009 - 18:38

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P8VYC8/?tag=r06fa-20
Its a well known fact, JBL makes great sounding speakers.

Wow Jeremy, thats some good insight. I'll have to give these a try,

Dynaudio's are no doubt some good sounding speakers, I'll take you word for it the JBL's are a mere $400.00

Amazon's got them in a nice package.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Update!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U92K6M/?tag=r06fa-20

$359 a pair, no package deal, just the speakers!

mrb1946 Thu, 10/15/2009 - 19:17

jammster wrote: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P8VYC8/?tag=r06fa-20

Its a well known fact, JBL makes great sounding speakers.

Wow Jeremy, thats some good insight. I'll have to give these a try,

Dynaudio's are no doubt some good sounding speakers, I'll take you word for it the JBL's are a mere $400.00

Amazon's got them in a nice package.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Update!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U92K6M/?tag=r06fa-20

$359 a pair, no package deal, just the speakers!

Wow, I feel really bad for declining these monitors at first. I really like them now. And I didn't realize the the RP5 was only 45 watts, thats a major turn off. But I like all the isolation stuff on the JBL and seems really nice. Thanks for setting me straight on them.

Guitarfreak Thu, 10/15/2009 - 19:34

mrb1946 wrote: Wow, I feel really bad for declining these monitors at first. I really like them now. And I didn't realize the the RP5 was only 45 watts, thats a major turn off. But I like all the isolation stuff on the JBL and seems really nice. Thanks for setting me straight on them.

So you are going to shun a perfectly good product because of what a spec sheet says?

mrb1946 Thu, 10/15/2009 - 19:37

Guitarfreak wrote: [quote=mrb1946]Wow, I feel really bad for declining these monitors at first. I really like them now. And I didn't realize the the RP5 was only 45 watts, thats a major turn off. But I like all the isolation stuff on the JBL and seems really nice. Thanks for setting me straight on them.

So you are going to shun a perfectly good product because of what a spec sheet says?
Well just because the Rokits aren't high wattage, doesn't make them bad since they're obviously pretty awesome. I would like to get the best thing possible for me right now and it seems the the JBL has the edge on my necessities. Now, I haven't gotten to Guitar Center yet to hear these but I will probably go with the ones I like the best.

Guitarfreak Thu, 10/15/2009 - 20:12

mrb1946 wrote: Ok, here's the thing. I want something thats gonna work wonders, but I don't need something that's gonna make me spend every penny I own for something thats a little too much than what I need. I think the Rokits are probably leading the race right now with the JBL trailing very closely behind.

I should have mentioned this in my original post about my experience with the RP5's, but you don't feel listener fatigue as easily with these than with other systems I have tried, very smooth sounding. That can be important when you've got a friend/client looking over your shoulder for hours on end.

Not that I am trying to take away from Cucco's recommendation, I think that you should let your ears ultimately decide since that's what you use to mix with anyway, but what tipped the boat for me was the Rokits being offered Factory B-Stock for a little over $100 a pair. I couldn't resist, it was an amazing deal. You might still be able to find them, you might not.

mrb1946 Sat, 10/17/2009 - 11:26

Ok, so I just left guitar center and I didn't plan on buying my monitors today, but I walked out of the store with the............ JBL!! I really really loved the cleanness of the sound that they gave. Their low end was a little weak but hopefully the Adjustments will help with that. So thanks for all tour help guys!

mrb1946 Sat, 11/07/2009 - 16:28

Alright, let me give you guys a quick update. As I already said, I bought the JBL LSR2300s. They're very clear but they're low end is not anything to brag about. I'm deeply considering getting a pair of the Behringer B2030a. I know Behringer is usually a street-brand name but I have heard so many good things about these monitors. Do you guys think that the Behringers would out-perform, if not match, the JBLs?

Guitarfreak Sat, 11/07/2009 - 18:01

In a word, no. You will have to compensate for deficiencies in all monitors. Learning your monitors is the most important step in effective mixing. If someone doesn't learn their strengths and weaknesses then they are no better off than not having them at all. You've found the problem, so not you have to learn how to compensate for it. I would stick with the JBL's.

jg49 Sat, 11/07/2009 - 18:27

Basically, I think what he is saying is learn to hear what the monitors are giving you. Listen to some CDs you are very familiar with, really listen and then make your mixes sound like those do, on your monitors. While there are differences in monitors the JBLs you bought are among the best in their price range, so it is not the monitors and the Behrys are definitely NOT better! You need to learn to listen differently. It takes time and patience, make sure they are located correctly, be certain you are listening at good levels and try moving them around the room because part of how you hear them has to with the space they are in.

Guitarfreak Sat, 11/07/2009 - 18:36

Precisely. You've gotta dance the dance of MP3's for a while before you get it. Make a mix and bounce it down to MP3 or CD (pick your poison, CD might be better but far less convenient and cost-effective IMO) and play it on another system or two (your car and home stereo for instance) and see how it sounds. Go to your program and fix the mix based on the discrepancies you heard, i.e. the bass might be louder than you thought it was, or the vocal might sound too muddy. Get it to where it sounds good on the most places at the same time then listen to what the mix sounds like on your monitors. This is the key to learning your monitors.

mrb1946 Sat, 11/07/2009 - 18:39

Ok, I agree with that. However, I am very dissapointed in the low end of JBLs. I can't afford to get a subwoofer so what is there left to do? I don't see a problem in trying out the Behringer's. I mean, I want to get something that is gonna make me really happy and I'm not feeling the JBLs so much. Not mentioning the $100 drop in price

mrb1946 Sat, 11/07/2009 - 20:01

Ok, I'm not worried about price. Price is not an issue as long as I stay under the $400 range which is where I got the JBL. I'm also not looking to start my whole monitor search over. I just want to get a great set of monitors that I will be very happy with and I feel that the Behringers are possibly what I'm looking for. I just am not satisfied with the low end on the JBL. If there is anyway to fix that without dishing out another $300 for a subwoofer, then let me know, please.

Guitarfreak Sat, 11/07/2009 - 20:16

Well, I am sure that you can find a system in that price range that has better bass response. You'll go through the honeymoon phase with those as well, then one day you will find that they have their own limitations. I'd rather have less bass response then muddy bass response. For months I was over-EQing every guitar track I ever tracked because my subwoofer would cough whenever it encountered a guitar track. As long as you don't have a technical/design fault such as this then I would chalk it up to having to learn your tools rather than buying a different tool. This has been said several times in this thread already, I'd say the decision is in your hands now.