Skip to main content

I was just wondering if this would be a good choice and if i would be able to use it with my Yamaha MG16/4 mixer / how i would go about hooking it into the mixer so that each mixer input goes out to seperate inputs on the MOTU.

Topic Tags

Comments

RemyRAD Mon, 08/14/2006 - 19:19

I don't really think the MOTU 2408 would be a proper unit for you? Why?

1) First, it requires that you install a PCI card into your computer.

2) Yes, it does have 8 analog inputs the other 16 inputs must be fed from an Alesis optical or a TASCAM "TDIF" digital inputs requiring appropriate matching hardware.

It would make much more sense that if your inclination is only toward 8 simultaneous inputs that you investigate something like the Presonus FireWire or MOTU FireWire, M-audio and other manufacturers interfaces, since FireWire only requires a single cable to a computer with a FireWire port. They are certainly more portable as well since the 2408 requires a desktop machine only.

If you believe you may end up needing 24 simultaneous analog inputs to your computer, the MOTU 24 IO, which requires the matching PCI card again, only plugs in to a desktop machine. In that respect, I believe the Alesis HD 24/HD 24xr, standalone hard disk 24 track recorder is a great bang for the buck! HD 24's are available starting at around $1300 and approximately $1900 for the extended resolution "XR" version.

I think you need to order a bunch of catalogs and subscriptions to recording publications?
Ms. Remy Ann David

anonymous Mon, 08/14/2006 - 19:41

Installing a pci card isn't a problem for me. My aunt gave me the computer that I have right now, and when I got it I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it out, and then put it back together. I also installed the soundblaster sound card I have in it right now, which is what I'm currently using to record. And as far as mobility, well thats just not a factor for me.

RemyRAD Mon, 08/14/2006 - 22:47

So, do you want to connect 3 Alesis ADAT's or TASCAM DA38/78/88's to your computer?? No?

Are you only interested in recording 8 tracks of analog inputs simultaneously?

How fast is the computer? How much RAM? Secondary storage drive?

Otherwise, my answer is the same. Don't bother with the 2408. Purchase a $40 FireWire card and a compatible FireWire audio interface if you only want to record 8 channels simultaneously. In all probability, that will cost you less? If not less, you'll be ready to go when you get your new laptop! You can't do that with the 2408.

How about a Ford with a Toyota engine?
Ms. Remy Ann David