Skip to main content

I've been slow coming to the age of digital recording, so please assume minimum knowledge on my part, despite that I've copiously read all my manuals and watched YouTube videos 'til my brain is mush.

I've been able to record tracks, but I cannot figure out how to get sound to my headphones, so that I can monitor previous tracks in silence while recording another. This is my base set-up (before outboard stuff):

Cubase Le4 on a G4 Mac (Gigabit Ethernet Dual Core 500Mhz OSX 10.411);
MOTU 2408 Mk II, with PCI-324
KRK V6 nearfields

The MOTU outputs go to the KRKs. When I plug headphones into the headphone jack on the MOTU, I get nothing, even with the volume control on full. No problem getting sound through the KRKs, which is how I've been learning this (direct in recording), but I can't get anything to the phones no matter what output configurations I've tried. I know that the answer likely is an easy one, which makes this all the more frustrating.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any suggestions to offer.

Comments

GZsound Mon, 07/25/2011 - 22:59

I am unclear what you mean by wanting to monitor previous tracks in silence. That makes no sense.

However, the headphone output mirrors the output of channel one and two so if you have your output assigned to channel one and two, you should hear in the headphones what your monitors are hearing.

Do you have your monitors connected to channels one and two?

DrGonz Tue, 07/26/2011 - 06:40

I have one question what type of software is routing through the Motu device. I have a PCI card for an EMU type device and it has PatchMix software that route all the input/output channels through. I have my nearfields outputting through a specific channel(#4) but at the bottom listing it has headphones listed since there is jack on the docking unit. I would say you need to route the output channel to accommodate the headset, but we need more info to help figure this one out...