Skip to main content

Hey guys,

I recently talked a guy at GC into throwing a pair of these mics in when I bought my Firepod today. Anyone use these mics? How do they respond, and sound on different instruments?

I know they are pretty cheap normally so Im not expecting much, but I'm curious of what you all think of them.

Topic Tags

Comments

blaumph2cool Mon, 12/26/2005 - 21:20

Hey Xev,

I have the 990/991 package and while it's is very low on the quality pole, the mics are usable.

However, never base you purchase of a product on the freebees that they'll give you. always do your homework and if possible try out the product before you purchase (preferably in your native environment).

On the Firepod note...if you haven't already and checkout the Presonus website and makesure that it's compatable with your DAW. I know the Firepod has problems with the laptops with the Radeon 9000/9100 IGP video chipset.

So, if you like the Firepod and fits your needs go for it. anything beyond that is candy.

Cheers,
-Chris W

anonymous Wed, 12/28/2005 - 21:57

Moonbaby: Thanks, your insight on this is just utterly ground-breaking, you should consider doing reviews for magazines. You have to try and get paid for those awesome tech notes!

GCP: I'll have to check that mic out. At this point im not in the position to shell out too much for a mic in a home demo studio. So Im always interested in other lower priced hold-me-overs. thanks!

maintiger Fri, 12/30/2005 - 08:45

you still mostly get what you pay for. All budget items are not created equally though and some better value than others. The c1 SP mic and the rode NT1 for $200 are a great buy- I hear good things about the kel mics in this forum and the unconditional 30 days money back guarantee says a lot. Beh** gear is usually not that good though I used to have a headphone amp that did the job great for $100- I haven't heard many good things about the mxl mics though- some people are saying good things about the AT2020 for 99 bucs, so who knows- of course the shure 57's and 58's are proven winners at around 100 bucs. Bottom line, if it claims a lot for little $$$ is probably mostly hype and a waste of your money. Buy a 57, it will do the job better than those cheap mics for the same price and you will keep it a lot longer than you will the others.

a note on the NT1- i've had one since '98 and I've used it a lot. It does not get much use these days though but its still a keeper as it comes out ocasionally when I need an extra decent mic. My 57's and 58's from the same period still get regular duty though- so there you go, not all budget gear is created equally and that's a fact!

anonymous Tue, 01/03/2006 - 10:54

I have 4 SM58s and 2 SM57s and I do love them, and though I haven't messed around with the MXL much yet from just plugging it in and listenening to the room i thought it was pretty good. I could hear my keys players foot pedal sqeaking and keys clicking in the backgroudn (he was playing in headphones). So Im not going to complain.

Though I know for a fact the more expensive name brand mics are better quality from my last trip the studio. But they were free, and hell if you're just starting out I think it's fine wo screw around with lower ends stuff cause if you're not serious about it it's better to be stuck with 100$ mic then a 4000$ mic that you probably damaged from inexperience.

When I screw around with the mxl more I'll post some clips for those who care. But elitists can just piss off for all I care, everyones got to start somewhere.

anonymous Tue, 01/03/2006 - 10:59

maintiger wrote: you still mostly get what you pay for. All budget items are not created equally though and some better value than others. The c1 SP mic and the rode NT1 for $200 are a great buy- I hear good things about the kel mics in this forum and the unconditional 30 days money back guarantee says a lot. Beh** gear is usually not that good though I used to have a headphone amp that did the job great for $100- I haven't heard many good things about the mxl mics though- some people are saying good things about the AT2020 for 99 bucs, so who knows- of course the shure 57's and 58's are proven winners at around 100 bucs. Bottom line, if it claims a lot for little $$$ is probably mostly hype and a waste of your money. Buy a 57, it will do the job better than those cheap mics for the same price and you will keep it a lot longer than you will the others.

a note on the NT1- i've had one since '98 and I've used it a lot. It does not get much use these days though but its still a keeper as it comes out ocasionally when I need an extra decent mic. My 57's and 58's from the same period still get regular duty though- so there you go, not all budget gear is created equally and that's a fact!

I've been very interested in the AT2020 I've read a few reviews, It may be my next step, that or a Kel. I will however avoid Behringer at all costs. I am a musician first and foremost, and I know the downfalls for that company... The Rode I havent' heard much about, Im gonna go dig some info up on it.