Skip to main content

I am trying to use our Tascam US-1641 with all channels in our church for multi-track recording. I have a Rolls RA62Ah headphone preamp mixer that I am thinking of trying to use to where I can adjust the gain coming into the 1/4" inputs on the back of the US-1641. Can I use this as long as I use stereo cables? And would this be possible to use without damage to the unit? I need to be able to control the gain coming into these channels the first 10 inputs have gain adjusters on them but the last 4 (on the back) do not. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

Space Sun, 06/01/2008 - 07:43

Re: Queston About Rolls RA62AH Headphone Amp and Tascam US-1

Cmac3469 wrote: I am trying to use our Tascam US-1641 with all channels in our church for multi-track recording. I have a Rolls RA62Ah headphone preamp mixer that I am thinking of trying to use to where I can adjust the gain coming into the 1/4" inputs on the back of the US-1641.

A headphone amp as a preamp?

Cmac3469 Mon, 06/02/2008 - 03:37

Re: Queston About Rolls RA62AH Headphone Amp and Tascam US-1

Space wrote: [quote=Cmac3469]I am trying to use our Tascam US-1641 with all channels in our church for multi-track recording. I have a Rolls RA62Ah headphone preamp mixer that I am thinking of trying to use to where I can adjust the gain coming into the 1/4" inputs on the back of the US-1641.

A headphone amp as a preamp?

I don't need it a s a preamp I just need it as a Pass Thru volume control. I can run through the Audio Interface but it does not allow me to adjust my volume for the channels on the back of the Audio Interface.
I am going to get my cables today and give it a try. If it works great if not I will use the headphone amp in my home studio. I will give an update when i see what happens.

Cmac3469 Mon, 06/02/2008 - 04:52

Greener wrote: Can you start again my head hurts.
First I thought you were joking. Now I'm not so sure.
You want gain pots on your 4 extra inputs?
Write down _exactly_ what you have from instruments to mics to mixer to computer and software.
Then tell me exactly what you want to do.

Ok this is what I have:
Acer Aspire AM5640
• Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200
• 500GB hard drive
• 3GB of DDR2 memory
Cubase LE4 Software
Mackie 24.4 Mixer
We have 8 Mics (Wireless)
2 Guitars
1 Bass
1 Key board
Drums (mixed seperatly and coming into the main mixer on one channel)

I have the direct outs by means of DB 25 cables into the Tascam US-1641 Audio Interface (XLR for the mics and 1/4" for the instruments). I am running the mics into the front of the AI and the 2 guitars into the front also. I have gain control on these. I am the running the Key board, Bass and drums into the back. At present I am using a mic splitter in which I have gain control on each of these but they are running into one channel on the back of the AI. I want to be able to control the gain input for each channel and also be able to run them directly into an individual channel for multitrack recording.
I have purchased the Rolls headphone amp to try and complete this setup. I have tried finding different ways of doing this but have not found a simple piece of equipment to allow me to run the 1/4" stereo cables (from the Db 25 cable out) into for control on the gain on each instrument.

I hope this has not confused you even more. Thanks for the help!

anonymous Mon, 06/02/2008 - 07:20

Someone please correct me if Im wrong but you should be able to use the pre amps on the Mackie 24.4 Mixer and then use the seperate buses to send what you want to the US 1641 on the 4 channels with no gain control Im pretty sure they accept line level. Remember that you can use the aux sends as well to get seperate buses. I could be off base here but I wouldnt use the headphone amp for other then what its intended.

Cmac3469 Mon, 06/02/2008 - 08:05

EricUndead wrote: Someone please correct me if Im wrong but you should be able to use the pre amps on the Mackie 24.4 Mixer and then use the seperate buses to send what you want to the US 1641 on the 4 channels with no gain control Im pretty sure they accept line level. Remember that you can use the aux sends as well to get seperate buses. I could be off base here but I wouldnt use the headphone amp for other then what its intended.

I have 3 Aux sends left I will try and see if I can set them up on the individual instruments and send that into the AI. That may work better than what I am looking at. Thanks!