Skip to main content

Has anyone heard any TC Electronic Reverbs, in particular the 4000? I'm also wondering how it compares to the Bricasti?

Comments

AudioGaff Tue, 11/17/2009 - 20:54

TC 4000 is the next generation reverb spun off successful previous versions and used in the TC 6000. But the Bricasti is in a class of it's own and goes beyond simple reverb. It is more like a super model reverb babe.

TC reverb, including the 4000, are real clean and pretty uncolored. They don't hog up that space but still allow you drench the source in reverb.

The Bricasti is thicker in general with color and is more like the next generation Lexicon 480L. It is what the Lexicon 960L should have been.

I remember hearing the Bricasti in a proto unit at a AES show and then at a studio in LA a few months later. I'm pretty jaded by reverb, but this thing made me stand up and take notice. It almost blew me away. Then hearing a production unit a few years after and it was even better sounding and my jaw dropped when I heard all the variations it was capable of.

I hear the TC reverbs as more realistic space simulators and being a better tool for TV/film/post production and the Bricasti more specific for music and vocals.

Of course either of them can be used anywhere with great success.
You want great TC reverb at low price, get the M5000. I have and been using a dual engine M5000 like 15-years and it still kicks ass in reverb and other bread abd butter effects and is better than most native rev plugs.

Even cheaper is the TC PowerCore that comes with many of the M5000 reverbs and has options to purchase and run the other M5000 reverbs and TC 6000 reverbs including many from the TC M3000 and TC M4000 units.

In fact if you like and was going to get the M4000, I would just pony up and get the TC 6000 or PowerCore. While the TC 6000 is now long in the tooth, it is still a great box that is capable of way more than just reverb and does nothave to be tied to a computer like the TC PowerCore is.

AudioGaff Wed, 11/18/2009 - 21:00

Ya, that's the one.

The Bricasti is pretty much just a reverb box.

TC 6000 can come in a few variations or at least used to. With converters, without, effects only or effects + mastering, or effects and full DSP tools.

You can do a whole bunch more with the TC 6000 than just reverb as it is capable as a full DSP tool box and is expandable. Not so with Bricasti.

Price is why I mention the TC PowerCore. Of course since it is computer required and not abe to be used in stand-alone mode like the hardware box, you have all issues that go with computer products such as drivers, latency, conflicts & compatibility issues and becomming obsolete long before you ready.

I curretnly have a dual engine TC M5000 and two PowerCore PCI cards that serve me well for all TC effects I will ever need, but I still lust over and dream of the one day I when I own a TC 6000.

Cucco Wed, 12/02/2009 - 15:49

I did try the TC 4000 as well as the new Lexicon PCM96 and for the most part, I would agree with the above comments. The Bricasti is in a league of its own. While it's primary strength is music (orchestral variety) and a secondary strength is vocals, it excels at everything!

I actually had a 300 piece college marching band that wanted a dense, almost parking-garage style reverb. Not only did I easily achieve this with the Bricasti, I'll be damned if it didn't sound perfect. For one of those "Arena" style or "stone parking garage" style reverbs to actually sound good is an accomplishment in itself.

I also used the reverb on a choral recording I did of a professional chorus in the National Cathedral. With a 6 second decay, it's hard to imagine the need for an additional reverb much less how an artificial verb could be used and not degrade the sound. However, since there was a significant pre-delay on the natural verb, the Bricasti filled it in beautifully and actually sounded better than the natural verb. I can't release any samples of this, but it should be on Harmonie Mundie under Howard Shore's upcoming release. Once it's out, I'll let you know what disc.

The TC Powercore, IMO, is probably the closest thing to the Bricasti. It's reverbs (both the 6000 emulation and the other "visual" reverb (I can't remember the name of it) are fantastic for the price. The differences are - with the Bricasti it's darn near impossible to get a bad sound with anything you do - lean to dense, short to long. With the TC, you will have to work to get the exact sound and typically, only a few settings do the source justice.

For my money, the Bricasti is where it's at - no questions. They can have mine when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Cheers-
J.

Cucco Wed, 12/02/2009 - 15:50

On another quick note - since I have to come out of the box anyway to use the Bricasti, I've found myself doing a lot of external summing using the Dangerous line of summing mixers/buses. I've NEVER gotten a better, smoother, bigger sound. The combination of the Dangerous and Bricasti, for what I do, is pure sonic nirvana!

Cheers-
J.

x

User login