Skip to main content

Right now my only preamps I have are 8 Daking pre's.
Should I get another Daking Mic Pre IV or a Universal Audio 2-610, or is there something better?

Comments

RemyRAD Tue, 06/05/2012 - 19:01

You're really talking about 2 entirely different sounding preamps. Are you going for consistency? Or, are you going for different flavors? That's the most important question you have to ask yourself. I personally go for consistency. But that really depends upon the application. I find I have less problems when dealing with consistency. There are definitely different flavors of sound between my NEVE & API & Altec Lansing tube mixer. I rarely utilize the Altec Lansing tube mixer because of its hugely different sound. But if I wanted that tuba sound, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Altec Lansing 1567. It doesn't even come close to the tonality of the NEVE & API. Most of the time, I rely strictly upon my NEVE console. When I'm utilizing my fly pack system, it's heavily laden with API. What I need more inputs on the NEVE, I utilize the API's. But then I have to decide what I want where and why. Some think that the NEVE sounds more aggressive than the API and others feel vice versa. They both can be pushed to the verge of going nonlinear and also to saturate the Transformers. This presents two entirely different textures. And both are great so sometimes, I have trouble deciding what I deem best. You're obviously going through the same thing. It's great to have some variety at hand. And you may quickly learn which one sounds better to you on what. I sure as heck haven't. Simply because your choice and my choice are both quality devices. So I know either way, there will be no loss of quality only a difference in texture, timbre, tonality and it differs from person to person, instrument to instrument, application to application. There is no correct answer. Only the answer in which you choose. You know that variety is the spice of life and one of the many pallets we all simply must have. You can paint or draw with a single color and still have a work of art. Perception is in the mind of the butt holder. So stop scratching and start choosing. It's your only choice.

Sushi à la mode is not one of my personal favorites.
Mx. Remy Ann David

RemyRAD Wed, 06/06/2012 - 12:05

Well, all tubes age and when they age, they change like the rest of us. They're almost human. Transistors are nonstop automated robots. Both types are reliable. A tube can last more than 40 years. The ones in my Neumann U-67's are still the original issue Telefunken's. I've tried others. No can do. So I just have to let them warm up for at least 45 minutes. In circuits with transistors, you're still having to deal with electrolytic capacitors which all have a finite life. And in my Neve console, I rather miss the sound of the original issue, dried up electrolytic capacitors in comparison to the newer, better replacements. I can't retrieve that which I have already discarded. At least with tubes, you do have the element of variability in which to swap out different values, types and manufacturers, conveniently, easily. A lot easier than trying to un-solder a transistor from a circuit board. Besides, silicon is silicon but tubes are like the difference between mice, hamsters, gerbils, rats, squirrels, rabbits, armadillos. I think an armadillo is still a rodent? Maybe not? Possum? Now I'm hungry. What's the difference between a gerbil and a hamster?

Answer: more dark meat on a gerbil
Mx. Remy Ann David

ChrisH Sat, 06/09/2012 - 14:34

RemyRAD, post: 390372 wrote: Well, all tubes age and when they age, they change like the rest of us. They're almost human. Transistors are nonstop automated robots. Both types are reliable. A tube can last more than 40 years. The ones in my Neumann U-67's are still the original issue Telefunken's. I've tried others. No can do. So I just have to let them warm up for at least 45 minutes. In circuits with transistors, you're still having to deal with electrolytic capacitors which all have a finite life. And in my Neve console, I rather miss the sound of the original issue, dried up electrolytic capacitors in comparison to the newer, better replacements. I can't retrieve that which I have already discarded. At least with tubes, you do have the element of variability in which to swap out different values, types and manufacturers, conveniently, easily. A lot easier than trying to un-solder a transistor from a circuit board. Besides, silicon is silicon but tubes are like the difference between mice, hamsters, gerbils, rats, squirrels, rabbits, armadillos. I think an armadillo is still a rodent? Maybe not? Possum? Now I'm hungry. What's the difference between a gerbil and a hamster?

Answer: more dark meat on a gerbil
Mx. Remy Ann David

Thank you, Remy.
I think I'll go with 4 more Daking pre's and then add a Vintech 473