Skip to main content

Hello all,

I just recently purchased a Focusrute ISA 428. I am trying to make up my mind as to whether I need to also get the MH-442 ADC adapter.

Without the ADC adapter, I would simply be running the four outputs of the ISA 428 to the inputs of my soundcard breakout box.

My interface card is an Aardvark Q10. Unfortunately it only has a single stereo SPIDF digital input and no AES/EBU inputs, and since I'm using two Q10 cards, one of the cards' SPIDF input is being used (to monitor the output of the second card) so I'm only left with two digital input tracks via the RCA SPIDF plug on the second card.

By running the analog outputs of the Focusrite to the inputs of the Q10, am I taking a step down in terms of sound quality by using the pres and the A/D conversion of the Q10? Would I even notice the difference? Or would it make more sense that if I want to purchase and use the Focusrite ADC, that I purchase another IPC card that does have AES/EBU (or lightpipe I guess) inputs so that I can track to my hard drive and remain in the digital domain beyond the ISA 428?

I also am using Tascam DA-88 and 38 machines so the purchase of the ADC adapter may be already justified.

If the consensus is that I really ought to have a card that takes AES/EBU input, which one would you suggest? Lynx? RME?

Thanks.

Comments