Skip to main content

Hi all, I am in the market for a new flavor mic and have wanted to get a ribbon mic. This is my hobby studio, I just write my own music, record it, and occasionally record my friends band for demos. Nothing major. But I would like to get a ribbon for vocals and possibly Micing some Pipes, from reading here I'm guessing the ribbon gives kind of more of a bluesy vocal sound. Anyway what are opinions on a ribbon for around $400 or less (less is better), I also have to replace my 58 it died. I was looking at the M260 nice price and appears to be a decent mic based on what I have been reading. Other options or opinions?

Thanks!

Comments

moonbaby Fri, 02/20/2009 - 15:16

Well, IF you had a 58 die on you, that M260 wouldn't last a week!!!!
Those Beyers are not nearly as tough as a 58, they can be real heartbreakers. And who said anything about a ribbon sounding "bluesy"?
Smooth, maybe. But I'll bet ya that 9 outta 10 blues vocals are cut with a 58. The M260 doesn't like being bellowed into it, either. If you want an alternative to the 58 or the M160, you might try a Heil PR-35. I have one of those, it works very well on gutsy singers and is pretty tight and smooth...Plus, it's a lot tougher than the Beyer...

IIRs Sat, 02/21/2009 - 07:03

lostindundee wrote:
[[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.youtube…"]This[/]="http://www.youtube…"]This[/] clip is interesting.

Ouch! :lol: Would be interested to see the same tests with a Beta 58...

Anyway, if you only have one mic it should probably be another '58.

That said, my M260 (an old one that I picked up on ebay) sounds fantastic. I don't usually use it for live vocals 'cos I like it too much to risk it, but I have used it a few times with very good results.... most of the time I use it for guitar cabs, and sometimes as a mono drum overhead (sounds great for jazz kits!) or the bottom snare head.

I believe that some of the newer versions of the mic have a built in high-pass filter: this might be a good thing for close mic'ed vocals, but would limit its other uses somewhat, so maybe check that before buying.

vdrummer Sun, 02/22/2009 - 05:51

I did check the wiring on my 58 and they look ok but I did not spend much time troubleshooting it but will when I get a chance. I've had it since around 1990 so it has served its purpose.

I did pull the trigger on a M260. I couldn't resist I had seen a 15% off blems and the M260 was on the list but it was a day after so I called just to check. The blem price was $375 with 15% down to $315. When I called the guy said just a minute and came back telling me he would sell it for $275, I couldn't resist. So it is on its way.

Davedog Sun, 02/22/2009 - 11:56

Let us know how it sounds.

And you have heard from two different sources on what to expect as far as durability. And from both sides of the pond too!

I had an M500 Beyer that I loved like a child. But it gave up on me too(not sure it wasnt some studio users that didnt respect the "Do Not Use This Mic" sign on it.....) So instead of simply replacing the ribbon (they wanted a LOT of money to do this....Beyer) I sold it to a bigger studio who got it fixed I'm sure. Now I miss it. Nothing like it though now I'm particular to the Royers. I used a stereo Royer as an overhead on a kit and was it GodLike.

vdrummer Thu, 03/05/2009 - 07:32

Ok the SM58 is working. What happened is one of the pins for the XLR got pushed in was was no longer making contact. So you all are correct they are indestructible.

The M260, well it works but I have to crank my pres on my board and just not good enough. I have a TC Helicon which I thought would drive it ok but I cannot get any sound out of it, I guess I need to play around with it more.

Any suggestions on the best pres for the money to drive the M260? Now remember this is my hobby don't have gobs of cash (although come to think of it I have approached spending that much already!).

vdrummer Fri, 03/20/2009 - 19:00

Well I had a sound eng friend of mine check out the M260 and he couldn't get any sound out of it so it appears it is a dead mike. Bummer. So I called Music 123 about the problem, recall I got a blem about 25% off on a phone call to them for a better deal than the daily promotion that I missed. Any how, the guy tells me, well let me see about getting you a new one, a few moments later he comes back telling me he will send me a new one for the same price I bought the discounted blem and he sent me a free shipping label. Now how about that :D

Now I have to drive the dang thing.

bwmac Sat, 03/21/2009 - 21:26

I use a Apex210 Ribbon Microphone

Its cheep thats for sure.
I find that it really grabs the low Hz and makes my voice to boomy.
Now I have not yet connected it to a good pre or spent more then 1-2 hrs compairing it.
It will need a good pre that is for sure, that might wake it up a bit.
should be perfect for female vox

http://www.apexelectronics.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=27&id=90

vdrummer Sat, 04/04/2009 - 03:35

Got back from vacation and my new M260 was in. Tried it out the other day playing live in the studio and I was very impressed. Just as I hoped very warm sounding, only needed needed half volume on my pre gain on my firewire board driving it quite nicely. Can't wait to record with it. Very very happy! I was worried about driving it but my gear works great. I have a TC Helicon Voice Live on the front end to plenty more gain if need be. Hope to have a recording session with it on Monday.

x

User login