Skip to main content

I just purchased some Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones and gave them a listen...and they're pretty great! But, maybe, and this might be an opinion as opposed to an observation, but they might be just a touch flat? Maybe I'm imaging things, and I am pretty tired...just wanted your thoughts on these 'phones and any others that are great for monitoring in roughly the same price range!

Topic Tags

Comments

blaumph2cool Thu, 01/01/2009 - 11:31

Well what do you mean "Flat"?
Do you mean tonaly flat or freqency response is flat?

What are you doing with these phones, tracking, mixing, DJ, listening to ipod?

You want the flattest response in your headphones or any speaker for that matter. when i first started out i made the mistake of getting cans with overhyped bass response and it translated bad in my mixes.

Senn 280's are good (I don't like the way they fit on my head) and they'll most likely get you where you want to go. If your not satisfied, another to consider is AKG's K 240. they are semi-open so not great for using on a vocalist for tracking but i like them for mixing when monitors are not available.

remember if it aint broke don't fix it. maybe see if you can get confortable with the 280's and give them some time. or maybe you just want to blow your cash.

anonymous Thu, 01/01/2009 - 12:10

Well, yes, their response is particularly flat; however, that is the point! I bought my pair for monitoring, not for listening. Sennheiser explicitly calls them monitoring phones for this reason.

My buddies been trying to pawn his Bose QC3's to me, but I haven't actually listened to them yet, not sure how useful they'd be for monitoring. Probably decent for listening.

music293 Fri, 01/02/2009 - 10:42

I know the response is supposed to be flat...I guess I didn't really read my post before I hit submit, however, what I had meant was the higher freqs sounded "flat" to me tonality wise. Again, it could have just been that I was tired, it could have been the material I was listening to...I just thought I'd mention it because it was a new piece of gear and I wanted to know what you guys thought.

Robak Fri, 01/02/2009 - 13:43

Hd280pro are very good headphones for musicans recording in a studio. They isolate very well, are loud and detailed. They are very fragile though. In a busy studio they die after two - three years of use. My first set (RIP) had brighter highs than the later ones (I have 3 sets now), and my new set (bought 3 months ago) is the darkest of all and has better definied bass (probably because of not worn earcushions). I find the new set the best of all. I always thought the older ones are too bright. I do check my mixes on them and many other monitors. I dont really know what you mean by saying "flat highs", singers sometimes sing flat when their headphone mix is too loud... :?

x

User login