Skip to main content

Greetings DAW heads,

This is my first post here...so I hope I’m in the right place for this!

I’m a 001/Mac user who’s becoming interested in alternative DAW’s, mainly for higher audio track count, and hopefully dual processor support.

Having checked out a few editors this weekend at the NAMM show, I was most blown away by Nuendo.

I sat in on a presentation, and it just seemed like every feature was light years past PT. Does anyone here have any serious experience with this program? How does it compares to PT in terms of sound quality, stability, plugin quality, etc?

I’d also like to find out about the tech stuff too, ie: how the Nuendo mixer processes audio vs PT’s

Thanks,

:)

Topic Tags

Comments

Opus2000 Sun, 01/20/2002 - 17:32

Nice presentation on Nuendo huh? I loved hearing Bohemian Rhapsody in 5.1!!! Who gave the demo for you was it Rob Hill? He's really cool and knows his shit!!
Well..here's the old argument..PT vs Nuendo
There's a difference in how the mixer works in layout and thats about it. The sound quality is definately there! I've been using Nuendo since it came out and since day one I love it!! Its a very high end sounding audio engine.
Plugins are the same basically..well, sort of..it's VST or direct X rather than RTAS or TDM. you still have Waves plugins ability and other ones too. Basically any plugin that works on a PC will work in Nuendo. Plus with Nuendo you have VST instrument ability which is far better than direct connect IMO.
Basically Nuendo uses your system processor to run the audio whereas PT uses mostly the DAE engine on teh card so Nuendo needs a good system to run anything with large track counts. I can run 36 tracks with about 10 or 12 plugins and Reason tracks before I start to see sluggishness in the system..no audio performance issues just redraw issues and scrolling.
Nuendo is far better than PT LE but there are arguments about the full PT systems vs Nuendo.
Opus

anonymous Sun, 01/20/2002 - 17:56

hi there,

yes, nuendo is a nice software, very flexible and powerfull.
so if you want to quit your digi 001 and a pt mixplus or even hd is too expensive for you, then there is only one more alternative, and that is samplitude producer 6:
http://

however, it must be said that samplitude has not very good midi-capabilities and has so far no vst-plug-in-comp.-there is an adapter to convert vst-plugs to directx-format which samplitude is able to handle, and that works very well, but it doesn't support vst-instruments.

except that, samplitude can compete with nuendo, and it sounds even better (this caim is a much discussed and debated topic, but to me the difference is audible), and has a range of very high-quality effects.

and no, i don't know why it is like that! :D

kind regards.

PS: and NEVER EVER think about purchasing NUENDO FOR MAC unless you want end up being steinberg's betatester :mad: !
all the feedback i heard andsaw from people who did is TERRIBLE. if you nevertheless prefer to stay with mac, wait until they will have fixed it, but my guess is that nuendo for windows will always have higher priority.

lwilliam Mon, 01/21/2002 - 09:53

Hey dude!

Here's another possibility and one I'm considering:

1. Logic 5.0 with a TC Powercore, or DP with the same.

Even with used MixPlus prices plummeting the way they will be over the next six months, it's still going to be a LOT less expensive to add a UA or TC card with another program and get SMPTE, higher track counts, etc.

I've heard the same thing about Nuendo: use it ONLY on a PC.

One thing to note about Nuendo is that there will be no (or at least no good ones) Direct i/o drivers for it - you'll have to trash your Digi001 hardware, whereas with DP or Logic you can still use it.

Opus2000 Mon, 01/21/2002 - 10:26

Logic would be an alternative but the learning curve on that software isnt what most people want to deal with. Logic is great but their terminology is totally different from all other software. I dont think Logic supports VST's..does it? Maybe 5.0 does.
Why would you want to use the 001 anyways? To me it sounds like poo poo!! lol
going with the UAD card would be the best solution to DSP power...heard it at Namm and it sounds the nuts!!!
Opus

anonymous Mon, 01/21/2002 - 13:56

I currently use Nuendo 1.53 it is a superb application.. Very easy to learn and it performs several different functions. It also immediately worked with my control surface (us-428) and hopefully will work with the 4416..

As far as sound quality it is excellent and is very capable of handling Hip hop projects of all kinds... I have heard Pro tools and I would say they are probably equal in sound quality the key is always in the user/engineer running the equipment....

Raticus

SonOfSmawg Mon, 01/21/2002 - 20:02

I've been running 001 on a G4 for 2 years. I was a total newby to computers and DAW recording two years ago, but I think I've learned a lot since then, thanks largely to RO. The people here ... audiokid, Ang, Joel (at Soundscape), Opus, etc, have been an enormous help.
After my first few months of becoming familiar with DAW recording and the 001 system, I found that the limitations of 001 were unnerving, to say the least.
Anyway, without getting "wordy" as I usually do ... check out the Soundscape R.Ed systems before you make your buying decision. If you go into their bulletin board, you can get an idea of what it does and who is using it for what. You'll see a lot of "happy campers"...

Logan Wed, 01/23/2002 - 14:53

Chalk up another happy Nuendo user, but I'd second the watch out for the MAC version warning, most Mac users seem to be unhappy with the state of things so far with Nuendo. But the program itself is very easy to use and very extensive in it's editing capabilities. I did my very first session with out even cracking the manual. I use it with a dual p111 800 system with all SCSI drives and the RME Hammerfall card and it flys. I'm looking into the UAD card as well, for better plugs. Take care Logan

anonymous Sat, 02/02/2002 - 18:59

I use the Digi 001 on a G4 Mac and dig it, but I can't get with those wimpy mic preamps up in there. They are not a pair of Neves, that's for sure. Is Nuendo better in that regard? Those plummeting PT mix plus prices sound interesting....hmmm... never could afford one before, maybe now. Lots of respected pros use Nuendo. It's kind of a dead end street with the Digi 001, unless they offer some cheap upgrade or trade up deal, and how likely is that?