Skip to main content

I have a chance to get a great deal on one of these, but I am kind of torn. I mean yeah the Sony would be more compatible with other formats instead of the tdm control 24, but this is for an expansion to the studio, which already is using DP3, so we are trying to get a pro tools rig. So I am at a crossroads. So many people are telling me the Sony, the Sony the Sony.. but the fact of the matter is, we are only going to be using this rig for pro tools anyways, so why wouldnt I get the control 24? Its cheaper first of all. I dont know. You guys tell me what you think... :? Thanks ..

Comments

Blueberry Fri, 08/13/2004 - 03:39

The Sony is a great board, the mic pre's sound better than the Focusrite Platinum serires in the Control 24. Not to mention it has the nice Oxford EQ and dynamics that everyone loves. It really feel like a pro mixer.

However I would check to see how well it works as a controller in PT. If you can control faders, solo, mute, transport controls, then it becomes a little more apealing.

With PT of course the main appeal is the plug ins. You can get almost any plugin for PT however each plugin will cost you over a grand. It is kinda nice to have the Sony plugins in your board. This means not opening up more screens and playing with a mouse.
You will find with every controller, that it is just easier to do certain functions outside the main controls as mentioned above with a mouse.

With that said, the Control 24 makes working with Pro Tools one of the most easiest work flows you could ask for. Plus you have the scribble strips in front of you for each channel. The latest update software for the Sony added it on the main screen, but it is not as nice. With all this being said, though I like the Sony, I would get the PT. You can even get the Oxford plug ins for the PT which now includes the George Massenburg EQ. However read this. [[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.soundons…"] SOS article[/]="http://www.soundons…"] SOS article[/]

anonymous Fri, 08/13/2004 - 09:57

Thanks for the info.. I am really all for the sony and like I said everyone keeps telling me the sony is the better board, but for the price difference, I could get a neve mic pre, and still afford more plugins. Dont get me wrong The sonys pre do sound great, but I am in love the Neve's.
And I agree, that with a pro tools rig a control 24 as a front end will fit in better in the grand scheme of things.. Thanks again.

sheet Mon, 08/16/2004 - 08:41

You cannot compare the two because one is a console (soon to receive no Sony support), and one "emulates" a console, and seemlessly integrates with PT. The Sony does not seemlessly integrate with PT. In fact, I do not believe that it has HUI compatibility. HUI doesn't give you total control, just basic fader and transport, etc

anonymous Thu, 08/19/2004 - 17:15

That's right, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. If you're looking at it primarily for use with Pro Tools, I'd say go with the Control 24...it's cheaper, and likely to be more "future proof". In a way, the DMXR100 is already obsolete...it maxes out at 96k (not that recording at 192 is a necessity, but that's another topic altogether) so if you have clients who want to work at 192kHz they wouldn't be able to with the DMX. The Control 24 doesn't care, so if Digidesign decided next week to move to a 32-bit or DSD format (or something else entirely) the Control 24 would be compatible right off the bat.

And with the money you save, you can buy the preamps you really that would smoke the preamps in either board.

-Duardo