Skip to main content

I currently have a pair of the Sony MDR-7506. I like them fine, but I was looking for a headphone that offered more isolation, and it would be cool if they sounded even better than the 7506's too. I heard that Beyer was the way to go, but I didn't know which phones were better for what.

I was looking at the Beyer DT-250's, but they come in 80ohm and 250ohm versions, and I didn't know if one was superior to the other or what, and that seems like quite an impedance difference. I was also looking at the DT-150's, cause they look like they would isolate very well, but I've never heard anyone say anything about them. Again, thanks for your help.

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Tue, 04/02/2002 - 08:46

The 7506s are great sounding I think but for me, they get uncomfortable, mostly the on back of my ears and the headband is not cushy enough. I think the AKG 240m are the most comfortable and isolate great as well. They are not quite as "articulate" or crisp in the highs and lows as the Sonys but I really like the sound and they're 600ohm impedence means you need a good headphone amp. I've also tried the Sennheiser 280s which had incredible isolation and were almost on a par with the sonys as far as sound. Kind of in the middle in terms of comfort and sound. Not quite as clear in the low mids to lows. Those three are in the same price range and there is also an Audio Technica model that I can't remember which feels just like the Sennheisers but I don't think sounded as good as any of the others.

I've only heard good things about the Beyers but they're >$200 so they ought to be better. At that point is comes down to what you need them for: musicians tracking or for monitoring/mixing. Go cheaper for the musicians (I have 2 7506s and 2 240Ms) and then a nice set for yourself. Good luck.

teddancin Tue, 04/02/2002 - 21:53

-Josh Clark
Thanks for the nfo. I also really enjoy my 7506's, but they wear on my ears sometimes as well. I think it'll help if I explain what I'm looking for in a pair of headphones more articulately. I wanted something that Isolated more (I was thinking of something for a drummer to listen to that wouldn't let the click track bleed through). At the same time I think I might have found a way to get some of the Beyer (which I heard were the shit) headphones at about half off. So my reasoning was "Why don't I get something that isolates really well that the drummer can use, and being that I don't mic drummers tooooo often, I'd have something that sounded and felt better than my 7506's for the rest of the time". That's why I'm especially interested in the high end beyer's (dt150 or dt250 ). If you or anyone else knows about these, that'd be cool.

-radioprof
Couldn't find the V900's, but if you know anything about the beyer's, I'd appreciate the help.