Skip to main content

I'm thinking of buying a couple for my project studio,they will be used mostly on acoustic guitar for now but eventualy on overheads and other instruments.A lot of people speak very highly of them,they are reasonably priced as well.How about it ? Are there folks here who have them and use them.How good a mic is it?

Topic Tags

Comments

AudioGaff Sat, 02/28/2004 - 22:39

The AKG 535 is real good mic. I have a pair that I've used for vocals, HiHat, snare, Ac-guitar, hand and percusssion mostly in PA/Live work but also in some studio work for about 10-years. Never used them on OH thou. They have a tight hypercardiod pattern well suited for vocals so I wouldn't expect them to excel at OH duty.

anonymous Sun, 02/29/2004 - 03:37

Originally posted by AudioGaff:
The AKG 535 is real good mic. I have a pair that I've used for vocals, HiHat, snare, Ac-guitar, hand and percusssion mostly in PA/Live work but also in some studio work for about 10-years. Never used them on OH thou. They have a tight hypercardiod pattern well suited for vocals so I wouldn't expect them to excel at OH duty.

Thanks Gaff,the interesting things is that they aren't that much more expensive than the c1000's which are pretty much despised by everyone.I think I'll try them out.

anonymous Mon, 03/01/2004 - 16:49

Thanks for all the responces,this brings to mind another question that perhaps someone can answer.If the 535 is truely a small diaphram condensor as I am under the impression it is,what makes it so suitable to vocals? In particular,why do so many people seem to use it for live vocals when the current wisdom seems to be that large diaphram mics are better for vocals in general.

Audio gaff has already mentioned that this mic has a somewhat restricted cardiod pattern,is that a factor in some way?

AudioGaff Mon, 03/01/2004 - 18:31

Audio gaff has already mentioned that this mic has a somewhat restricted cardiod pattern,is that a factor in some way?

First I'd argue that a LD mic isn't always better for vocals. Second I'd suggest that you buy a book or vist a website that has detailed info and polar plots of various patterns so you understand the differences and the what the strength/weakness of each is. A lot of why a LD mic is used for recording is that it is usually a more expensive and sensitive mic. LD mics can also have more than one polar pattern choice (which is one reason why they are larger) and are capable of capturing not only the vocal but also more of the room it is recorded in. The AKG 535 excels at vocals for live/PA work because it is designed specificly for vocals by using a tight polar pattern to reduce picking up other sources, built in shock/handling, fairly high output level, bass rolloff switch, rugged housing. The fact that it works on other sources in live/PA or recording as well as voice is an unintended bonus.

anonymous Tue, 03/02/2004 - 08:46

i had one before it was stolen. almost hyper cardiod feel to it. i loved it though and wish i could buy two of them to replace it. i miss it so :( i recorded a scratch track for a band using it as the only mic on time and got the best cymbals. like splashing water. it didn't suit me for studio vocals though because of the tight pattern. didn't pick up enough of the room and if the performer moved at all you lost the vocals. this is way i believe large diaphramgs are more generlly used in the studio. i could see it being good overhead, better than 1000's, and awesome on acoustic guitar. a pair of these, a large diaphragm, a kick drum mic and a handfull of sm57's would all a home studio'er would probably ever need.