Skip to main content

Hello RO, audiokid advised me that RO members may like to hear the story behind this console as well as follow the progress as it is refurbished back to it's original spec. (or beyond)

As you can tell by the pic,(below) it was stored in a garage and had been there for 4 years. It was covered, so despite the desert heat that the console would feel on a hot summer day, the dust did not get to play.

Since the M3000 is a rare console; not many have had an opportunity to hear one, let alone see one beyond pictures (even those are rare). Before I get to the details of my console and how it ended up in my possession... Let me shed a little light on the mystery of the M3000 to the masses, or at least those whom are unaware of its origin and history.

((((if you just want to see pics, I suggest you start scrolling now)))

A brief history of the M3000 (if you want more details, comment for them)

Depending on whom you speak to, many believe the M3000 as Amek's first "Large-Format Recording console". Officially introduced in 1979 as Amek's Top of the line console. A basic version of the M3000 sold for around $46,000.00. The first M3000 was actually installed in Amazon Studio's, Liverpool in 1978. The first one was more of a refined prototype then a production model. So far, Former AMEK staff in the UK, can count 8 (including Amazon) being built and delivered. All M3000's were in some way or manner custom built to the spec of each customer.

The 8 M3000's are:
Amazon Studio's, Liverpool UK
Aura Studio's, NYC NY USA
Trafalgar Rome, Italy (2 consoles)
Mayfair Studio's, London UK (some huge hits recorded with this one)
Enterprise Studio's, Burbank CA USA
Paul Ratajczak, LA CA USA
Klaus Schulze Germany (Keyboardist for Tangerine Dream)

Now it is easy to see why so little information is available on this console or even it's sound.

The M3000 set a new standard for Amek, the EQ was the first 4 band fully parametric (Variable Q on all 4 bands) console they had produced. It was also the first AMEK console to utilize automation (Allison 65K). The automation used the then high end dbx 202 VCA's, 24 Buses, 8 aux's and Quad panning. the below picture just hides the sheer size of these, mine is approx. 108" wide and 48" deep. Or put another way, it filled a 5' x 12' open trailer, where you could not walk around the console inside the trailer.

The M2500 and the G2520 is essentially a baby M3000, using close to the same EQ and topology. Know you can kinda start to imagine how a M3000 would sound like.

Graham Langley designed the console from the ground up. Despite the seemingly popular myth that R. Neve had something to do with the design of this console and a few others of the same era. Let me be clear, R. Neve did not start to work with AMEK till after the bankruptcy of Focusrite in 1989. The design is pure GL.

All the engineers I have spoken to that have used this desk... in simple terms. Want it back or miss it dearly. The EQ has by far got the most comment, along the lines of "Best EQ ever created" "Control that just goes beyond words" "the Variable Q on all 4 bands goes from nearly a volume knob to damn near a notch filter". I ask anyone who has used one of these consoles to comment, I would be very interested in hearing your experience and thoughts. With only 8 built, (lets remove for a moment that AMEK at the time was a small company, that did not have the same market reach (or advertising budget) as Neve, MCI and a then very fast growing SSL) I know you are thinking what was the bad? Well, the only complaint was... reliability. Everyone loved the sound of the console,(mic preamp/EQ/Mix Bus etc..) it would just crap out at the wrong time. . Unfortunately, no matter how good a console sounded, if it cracked or popped during a take, it negatively effected the financial prospects of the studio.

I will leave it at that for now.

How did i get mine? well. This is were the backstory becomes somewhat important. Again, if i am babbling by all means scroll to the pics...

For years I have spoke of designing my own console from the ground up. (I know crazy idea) I even have a few threads on other forums discussing such. Anyway, were i am at in my day job actually opened some doors to actually achieve this lofty goal. During one of my many discussions of the topic with a co-worker. He offered me (at a good price) this AMEK M3000 as a frame to build on. Now, just like any crazy idea, you start down a path blind and not know were exactly you are going end up. .

Only the first 24 channels worked (part time) as the console was suffering from intermittent issues, hence why they moved it to the garage. Channels 25 through 36 served as parts to keep the first 24 serviced. Of the 36 channels only 28 faders were physically installed (removal of the blank fader panels shows that faders were at one time there). The console did come with a box of parts, most of which came from AMEK LA in 1996 when the previous owner had picked the console up. AMEK handed over all they had on hand at the time. The only physical issue was some missing braces, which was not attached to console when originally received in 1996. What shocked me more was it came with complete documentation. I mean every thing! From hand drawn schematics of the entire console, original manual, a 1979 Advert for the console and all the documents accumulated by previous owners, to include a letter from Amazon Studios.

At the time I got this home, I had huge plans and changes ahead for it. The idea's were flying and the excitement was gaining energy. But, like most cases of eager naivety, I had no clue of what I had or how significant it would be.

Like most here, I had never seen a M3000 before only vaguely ever heard of one. So i did a little research, found out how rare they were, but even then still not deterred from my original plans at the time. I will quote what I had stated on another forum (proaudiodesignforum)in regard to this:

"Now, at some point, no matter how eager you are to re-invent the wheel, when you have something like this in front of you. You pause. Unfolding the fragile schematics is like a walk back in time to the office of Langley and company. You begin to feel the amount of work that went into building something like this in the era it was done in. Then history at some point steps in and reminds you, only 15 of these were ever built."

Even then (2 weeks ago) I was unaware of the true number M3000's actually built. Today that statement is even more profound. The more I researched the more I became aware of just how remarkable of console this thing already is. Through simple google searches or speaking with fellow engineers whom have used this console, one thing was clear, this was not going to be a re-design of my idea's but a refurbishing of possibly the most underrated console ever created. Yes, my search did end up with communication directly with Graham Langley and Nick Franks. The closer we look at my particular console and it's details, the higher the belief is, that it is in fact the console from Amazon Studios, UK. (if you view the pics of the one in Amazon and compare it to mine, they are identical) There is more, that identifies it as coming from there. The frame and its construction type, were and when it was built, etc. The serial number will be verified once the "Serial number book" is located.

All the complaints about this console can be easily corrected and in my case will be. You will get to see every step, if you are so interested.

Joel

Topic Tags

Comments

Gette Wed, 09/04/2013 - 07:08

For those interested and have a Facebook account. One of the founding members of Amek has created an online museum for Amek.

https://www.facebook.com/amekmixingconsoles

You will find many images of my console when it was first being built to opening day at Amazon studios, along with many other photo's of consoles Amek has produced. It is continually updated, currently covering consoles in the late 70's early 80's, will move through the years all way up to 1997.

So, Please go like the page and show your support and see some very interesting photo's taken from the inside of Amek.

Gette Sun, 09/08/2013 - 14:38

It is exciting to finally actually begin the process of rebuilding this beauty of a console. Got the unit reassembled, cage reset and is in position to begin the rewire. I realize most heck even i was dreading the process of rewiring an entire console. However after sitting for months waiting for the right time to begin, it has only made me actually look forward to getting it done. I can say i am excited to start melting some solder on this thing! The pictures show the console being reassembled and in its "rewire" position.

diddlydoo

Attached files

Gette Mon, 09/09/2013 - 23:14

OK progress!!! The PCB'S have been cleaned of all the old wire with the exception to some interconnect cabling. Here are some pics of its current state along with some photo's of PCB graffiti left by the builders in 1977. You can see the first spool of 1000' in the Patch bay area,,,, Yup Purple... duh

Attached files

Gette Wed, 09/11/2013 - 06:48

audiokid - The objective is to be passing signal through it NLT December 1st. CH25 through CH36 have unique pieces (small PCB's) missing that will have to be custom built. So that date more or less refers to the first 24 ch's. However, I feel confident I will pass the first signal through this baby way before my NLT date. The issue in a project like this; is the setup, getting started and having everything you need to complete it all at hand when you need it. diddlydoo

Gette Sun, 12/08/2013 - 20:32

Well I did progress just no were near what i had wanted to accomplish this weekend...... hit it every day/night should accomplish allot in short time. The patch bays were in bad shape, looks like i will have to completely tear them down, clean them (both solder as well as corrosion) and fully re-assemble them.... If only I had an unlimited budget and could buy new ones... You will see i Had loaded them as a working guide for cable lengths. All analog power is done, only power left are the fader banks...

Attached files

Gette Sun, 12/08/2013 - 21:37

audiokid- I know, It is to easy to want to rush this part of the rebuild, after all it is the most mundane, however it is the most important part of it. It sets the foundation. Trust me, I am fighting the kid in me who just wants to get it all back together. The patch bays i admit disappointed me, nothing like seeing how much more labor is involved.... When this is done, who wants to fight an unreliable patch bay.... Cleaning them of issues makes assembly easier... just getting them clean is a major PITA....

Gette Sun, 01/05/2014 - 19:49

Ok Another progress report. All 36 Channels are done!!! just a master section waiting for wiring, before I do the master section, I will be getting the Channel inserts (Pre EQ and Post EQ), Line Ins, and multitrack all completed at that Patch bay. I moved the power away from the ground plain, if anything to aid in a lower noise floor also added allot of copper to the ground plain.

It is getting there! yeah I took the pics before completing the last three channels....

Attached files

meyerer Fri, 01/24/2014 - 17:30

cool

hey mate,
how cool ist that: I just found your thread and guess what: I also have an M 3000.
I have the one that was standing in London/Mayfair studios.
We´ve been working since 1.5 years on it and looks like we are getting to the end. Signal goes through and sounds great! Not really much crackling (more or less just the routing switches but we just need to flush them I guess).
completed with full recap 24 channels plus aux, master section and buses.Of course the PSU´s too.
Unfortunately some driver boards 119 are missing so we will re design them. Also 8 DBX VCA´s missing.Also one channel is missing - it was sold to a guy in France some years ago and I desperately try to get in touch with him.

Very interesting the information you posted on the history of this desk. Thx much for it!

Cheers,Martin

Gette Fri, 01/24/2014 - 17:57

Hello Martin and welcome to the forum. I am glade you found the thread and that it was helpful to you in some way. It is nice to know that yet another M3000 is being refurbished and brought back to life. One good thing about this particular console is if a part is missing it is not a huge challenge to custom build a replacement. I to am missing a 202VCA or two, but will replacing all VCA's with a quad VCA type replacement. I have 4 additional fader modules with faders that came with the console that wee not loaded (total of 32 vca faders). I am simply going to leave the last four with out them.

Let me know if I can be of any help in your build and please share pics and any information you may have that has not been presented here in the thread!!!! Would love to see pics your console!

I will post some current pics of my console when I get back home from NAMM

Joel

meyerer Sun, 01/26/2014 - 13:10

Hey Joel,
thanks much!
Yes we are also rebuilding the driver boards - found out they never were built for more than 24 channels but we will :-)
Regarding the Vca´s: I had to replace a few too and know a guys who sells them. If you need some, let me know. I paid 35 Euros each.
I have full 36 VCA faders but also a complete set organics that were built in from Mayfair in 1982 but I will stick to the VCAs I guess. I am missing the automation too and we´re already planning to develop our own system for connection via mackie control to the computer. Will update you when we are on it.
I have one issue: Somehow the schematics for the master section and control room is missing and we need it. Dou have it by chance?

Have fun at Namm!

Martin

Gette Wed, 04/02/2014 - 06:58

I know I have not been all that active on here lately, been incredibly busy last few months. I will be taking a vacation starting this monday and will be dedicating allot of that time to getting the console frame completed and flipped.

Martin, I have the complete Schematics set for the console. However, They are large, hand drawn and fragile. My challenge has been finding someone with a large enough flatbed scanner to digitize them. I may have to resort to redrawing them in order to preserve them. Something I may do anyway.

Gette Fri, 05/23/2014 - 08:57

Hmmm… Pics and some updates in the next few days,,, the 3 day weekend is dedicated to this console! I have canceled all other responsibilities……….
that includes, cell phone off, will not be available for PTHD crash saves, "If the neve/ssl/ICON is on fire" call a fire truck…. ETC…ETC.. ETC…

anonymous Fri, 05/23/2014 - 09:14

Gette, post: 414983, member: 46761 wrote: Hmmm… Pics and some updates in the next few days,,, the 3 day weekend is dedicated to this console! I have canceled all other responsibilities……….
that includes, cell phone off, will not be available for PTHD crash saves, "If the neve/ssl/ICON is on fire" call a fire truck…. ETC…ETC.. ETC…

Well, now you're just being ridiculous. It's one thing to be unavailable, it's another thing entirely to shut off that hi-tech ball and chain that we all commonly refer to as "the cell phone".

I keeeed of course. Actually, I can't think of a better way to spend a holiday weekend than to work on gear. We are indeed a sick and twisted breed, aren't we?

;)

pan60 Fri, 05/23/2014 - 18:00

Gette, post: 414983, member: 46761 wrote: Hmmm… Pics and some updates in the next few days,,, the 3 day weekend is dedicated to this console! I have canceled all other responsibilities……….

watching!

Gette Mon, 05/26/2014 - 21:43

Ok here is the progress up to this point. MT out, MT in, Pre EQ insert nearly done. What is left? One more Insert point (Post EQ/Pre Fader) and then master section… So very close. I am testing all the solder points and verifying the normals, so yeah taking a bit more time then most and this frame is tight to work in,,, The pictures are deceiving in that respect. Would have been a whole lot easier to have done this on a nail board, but all well.

As you can see by the pics, it is a very tight patch bay pack.

I will be posting daily, really. I will post daily as I plan to work on every night and weekend till its is done.

So the pics.

anonymous Tue, 05/27/2014 - 05:19

I don't know if the following has been discussed yet, I'll take my chances and ask anyway, at the risk of being redundant...

( And I'll just go ahead and assume upfront that you prefer the tactile aspect of mixing - the actual pushing/pulling of faders, tweaking pots, connecting up OB gear, etc., so that answer is already a given).

I've mixed on Ameks before, (Angela) but never on an M3000. To be honest, I can't say that I've ever even been in close proximity to one..

And so, I'll ask:

1. Was the reason you got this particular desk because you had worked on one in the past and liked it?

2. Are there particular features to this particular Amek console that sets it apart from other consoles in its original price class, including other Amek Models?? ... are there certain features that you really like?
( For example...Is it the pre's? The EQ? Is there any discreet channel/track level gain reduction built into the channel strips? Something particular on the Master 2-Bus? )

3. What are you most looking forward to upon this beauty's completion?

4. Is there a particular "sound" that is signature to the desk? (besides the "British EQ")... let's say you ran a signal through it with all EQ in bypass... would the M3000 still have it's own distinct thumbprint?

5. With all the modding and repair that you are doing, are you attempting to stay true to the original design as far as electronics/circuitry/amps etc, or are you finding that you are having to use "equivalent" replacements?

6. If you are using equivalent replacements instead of original components, is there any concern that the console's original overall sonic signature will change?

Just curious. Inquiring minds would like to know. :)

Gette Tue, 05/27/2014 - 08:23

DonnyThompson, Some has been answered, some not. It is not redundant sometimes necessary to keep the flow of the thread working and remind myself, why am I spending this much time/money on this thing.

1) I had originally got this console to be a foundation (metal work, pwr supplies, basic circuit design, etc) for a design of my own. I had never seen an M3000 prior to picking this one up nor ever heard one/used one. The console came fully documented, schematics, history etc. The more I dug into it's background and asked around the more it became clear that, I would be refurbishing the console versus destroying it. They are rare, only 8 ever built and in the case of mine, it was the first one built. There are members here who have used a M3000 before to include my very console. Maybe they will chime in.

2) The M3000 was the first large formate console design by Amek/Graham Langley. It was very expensive for its time, $46,000.00 base price in 1978 (equivalent $172,628. today) I am sure why so few were built. My console in particular was the prototype that was installed into Amazon Studios, UK. The Eq design was the basis of all future consoles for Amek (slightly modified to reduce cost), to include the M2500.

The most spoke about feature of the console from those who have used one, is the EQ. It's a 4 band fully parametric, variable Q design. They all say the best sounding and most usable EQ they have ever used. Now, anyone can say that, but when it comes from engineers who use other high end consoles (SSL, NEVE, API, Etc) that has allot of meaning. The Mic pre's does use custom Sowter transformers. The Multi-track Bus/Mix Bus summing/driving amps are huge by design, using TIP Transistors. By nature of its design, it will sound huge.

3) Honestly, just being able to use it.

4)Well There has been a few huge records recorded on this exact console. the only one of the top of my head would be, Echo and the Bunny men - The killing moon (the full album name escapes me) was tracked/mixed on my console.

5) staying true to the design, console was in surprisingly good shape other then cabling issues (Hence the total redo) Will be changing the VCA to a quad design, changing some cap values to open up the console a bit.

6) I am staying as true to the original design as posable, but will update areas that need attention.

Hope that sheds some light….

- Joel

anonymous Tue, 05/27/2014 - 09:06

Indeed it does, and I sure do appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I find it so cool that you have the first/prototype of only 8 ever made, and while it may just be a sentimental thing, I'm always pleased when I hear that a particular piece of gear has a history.

I have an engineer friend who has a pair of Telefunken ELA M251's ( with power supplies) that he bought from Capitol Records Studios in L.A. back in the mid 70's.( I can't believe they sold them)...

If you know the mic I'm talking about, the ELA had a gorgeous polished ivory-like finish, and sound indescribably gorgeous. Forgetting the warmth for just a second, the way it treats the top end is simply wonderful - incredibly silky, and with a clarity that is, well, the best I've ever heard, anyway - I've never heard another mic since that sounded like that mic, and I doubt highly that I ever will.

He has pictures on his studio wall of Frank Sinatra singing into one of them, ( maybe not the exact same mic, but it looked just like it, and it is possible that Old Blue Eyes did in fact sing into the very same mic).

He has another pic of him standing next to the head engineer of Capitol, shaking his hand while he (my buddy) holds one of the mics with the other hand... I think he got them for something ridiculous... $800 each comes to mind, or something completely and nauseatingly stupid like that... I know it made me want to puke when he told me. But, finding out the history of certain pieces always makes me appreciate them even more - as if the Telefunken ELA isn't appreciated and coveted just because of what it is to begin with, never mind who used it. LOL

The good news is that he's still using them. It would make me feel even sicker if I found out that he had them in some glass covered collector's case. ;)

Oh... and by the way... just for fun....the Bunnymen album you were referring to that was mixed on your Amek was "Ocean Rain", which was recorded at two studios, actually: Crescent Studio in Bath, Somerset, where foundational tracks were laid; and then at Amazon Studios in Liverpool, where additional tracks, including all vocals, were tracked on it. The album was mixed on your desk in late 1983. The album was released in early '84. ;)

d/

:)