Skip to main content

I just used the AT4040 on solo violin this evening (just finished 20 minutes ago and wasted no time telling the story...) With it directly over the neck and aimed towards the bridge, the sound is absolutely stunning. Realistic, lifelike and quite warm and friendly. I used this as my main and the MG M296 omnis out about 2 meters in my small/intimate studio. With just a touch of Warm Cathedral (2.8ms) patched into the aux bus, it sounds quite nice.

You must try this mic on violin. Next, I'll try it on cello.

Oh, and of course, Rich has twisted my arm enough, I'll also be buying the DPA 4061s soon enough too. But for the mean time, this will be my go to mic for strings!

J.

Comments

Cucco Tue, 04/12/2005 - 08:08

I had a couple...

Schoeps CMC 6 - MK4 or MK21
Oktava Tube mic (with GT tube) - surprisingly warm and full sound.
AKG C12

Frankly, I think the 4040 beats them all (for solo violin that is). I am constantly blown away with the quality of the AT 40 line of mics. I don't see their SDCs replacing my Schoeps or Gefells any time soon, but their LDCs are perhaps some of my favorites ever.

John Stafford Tue, 04/12/2005 - 09:50

What I really like about this forum is the complete lack of gear snobbery.

I lke to trawl through the various sites dedicated to pro audio, and I've seen some things said about the AT range, and I'm convinved these people haven't actually used AT mics, or else they didn't use them properly. I'm NOT saying that everyone should like AT, but I've seen them referred to as toys that are simply too cheap, and not suitable for 'serious' work.

It's nice to see people using less expensive mics along with their Schoeps, MKH, or DPA mics, because they can do what they do.

That's my rant for the day!

Anyway, back to the topic. Has anyone used the AT4047 on solo strings? Mabe it's the transformer based electronics, but it does something magical with plucked strings. I was wondering how the top end would work with bowing sounds.

John

Cucco Tue, 04/12/2005 - 11:21

You know, I've really wanted to try the 4047s on bowed strings. I know, there's a hefty transformer in there, but I don't find this to be a problem. I've heard it on voice, piano, guitar (elec and acoustic) and been blown away. I'm sure it's got a great sound for strings.

I completely understand your rant too. Just because it doesn't say Neumann or AKG, some people are quick to discount AT mics. I would agree that many have either never heard them or simply don't use them correctly. I believe that often, when a person is quick to discount a product, it's not always out of knowledge, often it's simply to make them feel better about the fact that they blew $2000 on a mic when they could have had 4 mics for the same price. In other words, they didn't actually compare mics - they bought it cuz the sales guy or magazine article told them they should.

end my rant...

J

JoeH Tue, 04/12/2005 - 20:56

John Stafford wrote: What I really like about this forum is the complete lack of gear snobbery......It's nice to see people using less expensive mics along with their Schoeps, MKH, or DPA mics, because they can do what they do.

Anyway, back to the topic. Has anyone used the AT4047 on solo strings? Mabe it's the transformer based electronics, but it does something magical with plucked strings. I was wondering how the top end would work with bowing sounds.

John

I'm not a snob by any means; I'm all about getting the job done consistently, week in and week out. I just don't have the time or the need to over analyze things to death during my busy season. I'm slow to change, and if the item does the job realiably, and sounds great; then I'm a fan for life.

It's the same for me & preamps. I've got my share of favorites (as do many of others on here) but I think it's largely subjective and not nearly as important as the sound in front of the mics. (the artist AND the space.) I'm as happy with a new ONYX preamp as a Millenium or an API or GML pre; they all do a great job for their respective applications. To each their own flavors, indeed!

As for the SD series of AT mics, I'm not sure what the difference is; but I hear it. I absolutely LOVE the 4000 series LD mics, but I'm still a bit skittish on their SD mics; can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something lacking with them. (And I DO have a couple of them, still trying to get the sound I want out of them.)

True: While I'd already heard a lot of good things about the AT 4000 mics a few years ago, it was really a bunch of bluegrass and country performances & shows (on CMT, TNN etc.) that featured them, and pushed me over the edge to try them; they totally blew me away with the sound of four or five musicians "working" them as an ensemble. (Snobbery, ha! If they're good enough for the legends working the Ryman, they're good enough for me! ;-) )

snobbery is such a waste of time & engergy. ;-)

ptr Sun, 04/17/2005 - 01:29

harold716 wrote: Has anyone recorded violin with the DAV BG1? Did you ever get one Ben.

Not beeing Ben, but a proud DAV BG 1 user I recorded Solo Violin last fall using it an my trusty pair of KM 130. This combination with My DAD ADDA2408 into a Lynx AES16 based DAW sounds splendid.

I dont know if I would call the DAV transparent (or if I would call any electroncs that?), but in stead its very musical.. And that is what its all about for me..

/ptr