Skip to main content

In an unrelated post, marsvolta posed this question, and I'm very interested in hearing the answer as I am doing something similar...I'm running into a Focusrite TT Pro, to a dbx266xl and then into my Tascam FW-1884 to get the signal into my computer.

"Maybe a dumb question, but... ... what's the point using a pure Class A micpre like the Seb's before the Firepod converters and pres in the chain? Won't the signal just be degraded again when it meets the inputs of the Firepod?" -marsvolta

What do you guys think? I originally bought the FW-1884 because I was attracted to the amount of pre's, controller, and firewire capability, but recently purchased the TT Pro for some decent pre's...is this degrading the signal by going to the FW-1884?

Comments

anonymous Fri, 06/17/2005 - 10:42

The short answer is yes, a great pre running through a decent pre will probably sound like a decent pre.

I'm running into a Focusrite TT Pro, to a dbx266xl and then into my Tascam FW-1884 to get the signal into my computer.

I'm not quite clear on how you are presently routing your signal.

Are you running the outputs of the TT Pro to the inputs of the Dbx and the outputs of the Dbx into the pres on your Tascam?

I would use the inserts on the TT Pro to run the dbx and run the outs of the TT Pro straight to your Tascam. This will perform much better than having the dbx in your output signal chain IMHO. (Also, the compressor on the TT Pro is pretty decent - not as tweekable as your dbx unit, but quite good)

I'm not familiar with the Tascam, but if it has inserts, you can bypass the pres by using an insert or "y" cable running the output of the TTPRo into the insert (return) and leaving the send from your Tascam disconnected. This way your signal path from the TT Pro is routed straight to the Tascam's converter bypassing the Tascam's pres. Hope this helps!

Wes

anonymous Fri, 06/17/2005 - 12:19

thanks Boltino!

I have actually only used the optical compressors on the TT Pro at this point and have not hooked up the dbx to the TT Pro since I've had it, but I figure I may need it for more tweaking options....I will try your suggestions.

If i leave the send disconnected from the Tascam and thereby bypassing the pres, will that effect my input selection on my DAW? Example: I run into the insert on my Tascam from the output on my TT Pro on insert 1/channel 1 (there is insert/send/return on each of the 8 channels)....if I arm channel 1 on Sonar will I be good to go?

thanks bro!