Skip to main content

Help!I want to expand my Tascam FW 1884 with 8 analog inputs which preferably could work under 24/96.I've been searching everywhere but couldn't find piece that suite me.Behrinnger ADA8000 is only 48 kh. so if anyone know the solution or give me any advise-APPRECIATE!

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Mon, 01/16/2006 - 11:50

Adding 8 channels

Hi. I used to have an FW1884, but I recently replaced it with 3 firepods. To add 8 channels of 24/96 converters, you might want to look into the M-Audio Octane 8 ADAT preamp. It is $600 and it will allow you to sync to any sample rate you want through a BNC word clock cable. The preamps are very good and the unit is relatively affordable. If you want something that is even higher quality, and offers more flexibility, I would strongly reccomend the Mackie Onyx 800r. It is $1000, and i has many useful features (shelves, phase inversion, etc). I have used the 800r and I loved it. You can find both of these on http://www.musiciansfriend.com. Hope this helps.

Eriksmusicproduction Mon, 01/16/2006 - 12:30

The fw1884 can input a max of 14 channels at 96k through the adat and spdif connections simultaniusly (simultaneusly, simultaneously, sumultaneusly, anyway).

Other than that you'd have to add anouther interface like drowningmonkrecords said, although you'd have to look into it as i think most daw programs won't support more than one interface at a time.

anonymous Mon, 01/16/2006 - 12:56

Actually, both of the strips I recommended are ADAT interfaces (rather than FireWire), so they should work with any program. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check this out for yourself before adding one to your setup. I don't know exactly what you use, but I have a G5 with Logic Pro 7.1, and it worked fine for me. Along the lines of what Eriksmusic was saying about SPDIF, you can get a stereo preamp from Presonus with 24/96 conversion called the Eureka Pro for $500 (also available on musiciansfriend.com). If you were to get an ADAT strip and the Eureka, you would be able to utilize 18 channels of simultaneous inputs (depending on whether or not your computer can handle that many active channels). Good luck to you.