Skip to main content

Hey all.
I'm in the process of purchasing monitors for my home studio and have run into a bit of a headscratcher:

I have the oppurtunity to get a very good deal on a pair of JBL 120Ti's, - unfortunately Im not going to get a chance to get a demo in person before making the decision to purchase. Im just wondering if anyone owns or has used these monitors, if so how did you find them?

I'm of the understanding that they were manufactured in the late 80's, and am a little aprehensive about purchasing them as I dont really have a clue about the quality of monitors from this period. Are they likely to compete with a brand new pair of the same value as far as fidelity and accuracy goes?

Cheers in advance to anyone who can help.

Topic Tags

Comments

RemyRAD Wed, 11/05/2008 - 16:18

I would be highly weary of purchasing any of those JBL's from that era. Many of those monitors had woofers with polyurethane gasket suspensions. Nice, soft, pliable when new. BUT BEWARE! This stuff rots out in 10 years making the monitors all but useless unless the woofers are replaced or re-coned. Plus, that is not a control room monitor I'm familiar with? It could have been one of their consumer speakers which are even worse in quality. And I'm a huge JBL lover/owner/user with 4 pairs of 4310/4311/4312's, and a pair of 4411, with woofers as I have described above which I no longer use. Haven't bothered with a re-cone for that pair.

So I recommend against it. A word to the wise.
Ms. Remy Ann David

moonbaby Thu, 11/06/2008 - 01:36

The Ti series, as Remy alluded, was a consumer line from the 80's. These were not worthy of the JBL logo.
Very sizzly high's, not good for accuracy as a studio monitor. Plus, the cabinets tended to decay and crumble with age. Then you can add what she said about the woofers' surrounds. Here in Florida the UV and high humidity did a REAL job on that line. save your money and buy something decent.