Skip to main content

Hi guys, Im just about to buy a stereo ad/da soundcard, but I'm going crazy trying to figure out which one.

My goal is to just record vox and guitar or keyboard. So I only need two channels. But I want those to channels to be "pretty darn good" as FMR Audio would put it.

I know I'm not going to be able to get "super pro sound" out of my gear, but I want to shoot for the best I can. My setup right now is

Mic : Shure KSM 44
PREAMP : J99 Seventh Circle Audio (twin servo clone).
COMPRESSOR : FMR really nice compressor.
RECORDER : Tascam 4 track cassette.

So back to my subject and cheesy comparision about the cars.

I have narrowed down my search to the
Old (LYNX ONE) and the new (AUDIOPHILE 192)

I was hoping that some of you guys could give some first hand accounts or suggestions as to which one would be best. And I guess best is a broad statement so best for my needs are frequency response and transparency. I plan on recording very clear vocals and classical guitars mostly. I am not one of those emo screamo guys so quality is a bigg issue for me.

thanks for reading, I am totally lost on this soundcard thing.

Topic Tags

Comments

TeddyG Tue, 03/08/2005 - 11:24

I would love a LynxTwo, but... I can't justify it, even if I could afford it. My LynxOne does everything I need to supply professional work(I do voiceovers, but some other things at times) to anyone that needs it. It's MIDI capabilities, though rarely used professionally, by me, are great to have when I feel the urge to fire-up my keyboard/synth, it's AES/EBU digital i/o works great with my DBX376 tube channel strip, and all interfaces beautifully with my little Mackie 1202 VLZ. Hard to beat the L1's XLR cable interface.

I looked at the Audiophile card when it was 96, not since. Nice, but no, it just wasn't as good - the interface I wanted wasn't there(TRS 1/4" not good enough), I don't think the AES was there? I don't know what else might have been improved but just going to 192 would be, for me, absolutely worthless. I will take a look at the AP 192 and report back if it's current specs now change my opinion...

'Til then, much as I love to upgrade, with my LynxOne, there is no reason. It would be like upgrading from a HumVee --- to what?

Teddy G.

anonymous Tue, 03/08/2005 - 23:01

thanks for the input guys

well I did it . I bought the lynx one!!!! I will be recieving it saturday . thanks for the input . I will post some recording clips of the setup to maybe give others an idea of how it sounds.

Oh yea ... the person I bought mine from has 3 more of them there unloading on Ebay right now. I bought mine for $190.00 this seems like a great deal. there are some more left If anyone wants to stroll over to Ebay and check em out.

later