Skip to main content

So i got my new M-Audio radium midi controller keyboard...

I've got it plugged in, and I'm auditioning some of the free synths that came with sonar, and there's this annoying latency of more than a tenth of a second. I have been through all the midi settings in Sonar and patchmix, and can't seem to find anything to change the way this is working. I even tried a real midi cable instead of the USB (the radium has both) and that didn't seem to make any noticeable difference.

Is there an obvious solution to you experienced midi people? I've RTFM'd quite a bit, searched around, but... Maybe someone with midi experience in SOnar can check me on this.

sys details:

M-audio radium 61
emu 1212m
patchmix
Sonar 4
edirol vsc (synth that came with sonar)

TIA
RR

Comments

anonymous Tue, 03/08/2005 - 13:48

here's an extra tidbit...

I did a recording check to try and actually measure the latency, and, although I could hear it while playing, the difference in the playback between my finger hitting the key (I mic'd it) and the audio I recorded from the synth was only about 15 msec.

Maybe this is normal? The synth latency from processing the midi data to generate audio while playing, but not when playing back audio tracks?

RR

anonymous Wed, 03/09/2005 - 13:11

yep, ASIO audio latency...

For the record, in Sonar:

Options -> Audio... -> General -> ASIO Panel... -> ASIO Buffer Latency

The default was 50ms (!) and I brought it down to 4. Synths are very playable now. I was scared because I just spent all this money on BFD, Trilogy bass, and N.I. B4, and i'd like to not have to record midi using some external module...

RR