Skip to main content

Hi there,
I'm recording with a 550 G4 Powerbook, external FW-HD and two (sometimes even three) MOTU 828 on a FW Hub. I'm recording 16 to 24 Tracks of a Live-Concert.
I'm doing this for almost 2 Years and figured out some Problems which are mainly caused in a slow HD (must be 7200rpm) or FireWire wiring.
But lately I had some Problems I'm asking for help.
Every once in a while a few Tracks on different Motu-Cards are having a kind of HangUp for 5 to 10 sec. They stop recording the original signal simultaneously (without stopping the actual recording- I just don't have the signal for a few sec)and than continue. Sometimes 2 Tracks sometimes 4 or even 6. All of them on a single MOTU Card. Sounds like a Clock/Sync Problem ? I cannot relate that to different settings or setups. It just happens.
Do you have any idea what to do ?
Thanx
Christian Ulbrich

Comments

Opus2000 Tue, 08/12/2003 - 21:13

Well, it sounds like the system is well overdue for a possible Norton overhaul? Staggering audio like that could be an interrupt in the system performance due to under buffering.

If you are just recording live than you don't need to worry about latency so you should have the buffers set to at least 2048 to be able to handle that. Especially on a laptop.

I'm not so sure what MOTU's specifications are and whether or not going through a FireWire hub with hard drives attached is ok or not. Have you contacted them in regards to this?

I would

Opus :D

anonymous Wed, 08/13/2003 - 13:10

Hi Opus,

thanx. Yeah first thing I did was set the Buffer to 2048. And yes I contacted Motu about the Firewire Hub and they said it is quite alright to have it all connected with Hard drives and the Motu´s on a hub. I run a test recording today for 2 hours on 16 tracks. Everything worked fine. Guess this was it.
Thanx for your help.

Chris