Skip to main content

anyone, have any thoughts on this card? anyone, using it, and if so, what do you think?

Comments

pr0gr4m Fri, 08/19/2005 - 22:11

I use it and I really like it. It's got a ton of inputs, a coupe of mic pre's if you need them and it is pretty easy to use.

For the digital inputs I use an Alesis AI-3. That plus the 8 analog and the two mic inputs gives me 18 inputs all in a nice neat package.

I use it with Cubase and a laptop. I wired it, the AI-3 and a patchbay in to a 3 space rack so I never have to go behind the unit.

It only goes up to 96khz...not getting into that argument.

I'm sure there are better AD converters out there and there are definitely better mic pre's in the market. But this things got everyone beat in the ins/outs department.

The first ones on the market has some screen problems but other than that there haven't been any wide spread problems with the mkII that I am aware of. There's the occasional noise complaint here and there, but it usually ends up being something else.

I love mine and I recommend it.

anonymous Sat, 08/20/2005 - 05:32

love mine..
really good audio quality..
I use the di inputs of the micamps as extra line inputs, works fine..
so that makes 10 analog line inputs..
needed to get an external hd, 5400 internal laptop disk caused clicks..
also, really make shure your fw chip is compatible..
(my built in fw port did not work, caused a million problems..)
but anyway: sounds great, lots of inputs, affordable, really great monitoring software/built in mixer..
get one!

AudioGaff Sat, 08/20/2005 - 22:49

Man, I've read many dozens of complaints with MOTU and a PC. I knowI've seen a few guys at two different Guitar Centers trying to return them saying they never worked right for whatever that's worth.

I was considering a MOTU myself. After hearing the E-MU, it's features and low cost, I took a chance and it has paid off big time for me and in how I create music. It also easily interfaces into my full studio. It's not perfect, and it could use some maturing in the mixer software and drivers, but it really works really well for me.

anonymous Wed, 08/24/2005 - 04:06

currently troubleshooting an issue with my motu. Tho' i think it may be a problem with my G5, i'm getting ground loop related digial noise. I just mention it because there might be a compatibility issue between these two guys, so if u've got a G5 look into it, or are thinking of getting one etc . look into it.

maintiger Wed, 08/24/2005 - 09:19

wavline1820m wrote: anyone, have any thoughts on this card? anyone, using it, and if so, what do you think?

its not a card- its a firewire I rack sp unit. I use it with my G5 and I take it on the road for remote with my ibook- works great. I did buy a 2ch rosetta which am using via spdif for vocals and lead instruments though the 828mkii, as the rosetta AD is definitely better than the motu- but that's just extra- the motu will do for most apps. :D