Skip to main content

Hey..
I'm buildin this new studio and have narrowed down to MOTU 828 MK 2 as the Audio interface for Nuendo 3.
Being a longtime Pro Tools user, i'm obviously a big fan of it, But its the otherway for my studio owner. (He is all for Nuendo). Anyway.. Since I am comfortable with Nuendo too and looking at the market needs (In India a lot of Freelance Enggs work on Nuendo), we have decided to go for Nuendo.
But I cant stop pondreing over the thought of Nuendo with DIGI 002, which also gives me Pro Tools LE & the other options to work with..
Now I'd like to know :
1} If DIGI 002 is as good as MOTU 828 MK 2 and will it do the job efficiently for me without any problems?
2} Does Nuendo have any driver problems with DIGI 002?
3} Is the ADDA in these hardwares comparable? If yes, how?
4} Is MIDI fully functional without latency problems with Nuendo?

Basically we dont mind the expences for the hardware shooting up a bit if our studio becomes fully cross-platform in terms of DAW. But we definitely do not want to take a step back.. (if thats what the hardware change can result into)

Plz do reply, Thnx u guys.. (Pardon me for my ignorance if this topic has been discussed before)
NEEL

Topic Tags

Comments

shanabit Sat, 02/25/2006 - 07:29

1} If DIGI 002 is as good as MOTU 828 MK 2 and will it do the job efficiently for me without any problems?
2} Does Nuendo have any driver problems with DIGI 002?
3} Is the ADDA in these hardwares comparable? If yes, how?
4} Is MIDI fully functional without latency problems with Nuendo?

I have both the DIGI 002RACK and the MOTU 828MKII.
FWIW, I think the sound is pretty even between the two except for the high mids and highs on the 828 are more crisp and open IMO.

I run SX3 through both and find the drivers from digi to be crappy when used with other DAWS. Lots of CRASHES and such with SX ;using the 002.
So I woul dguess youd have driver issues with NUENDO with the DIGI.
This is nothing new BTW, I bought the MOTU because of all the CORE AUDIO driver probs I was haveing with the DIGI 002 RACK.
I personally like the AD/DA on the MOTU slightly better, more open IMO. But not a huge diff IMO>
I dont have any probs with midi because I use a MOTU ATPAV Patchbay.

** Also, youll get LATENCY FREE MONITORING using the CueMix Console on the 828, SWEET!!! You WONT get that on the DIGI when using Nuendo.

You can also set up 4 different LATENCY FREE CUE MIXES using the MOTU to go out to your headphone amps. This allows everyone to hear all the input channels without delay while your recording directly into NUENDO.

*** I would personally get the RME FW800 if I were going to build a studio at this point using NUENDO, the AD/DA BLOWS away the MOTU IMO. Im actualy thinking of selling the MOTU and getting it and uping to NUENDO. The DIGI002 box is the WEAKEST part of the ProTools LE 7 setup IMO. Id def look at external AD/DA box if I were that serious.

With all that said, If I were given the same choice, I WOULD NOT BUY THE DIGI002 RACK to run NUENDO through, Id get the MOTU 828MKII!!

If you wanna run the digi stuff then buy a DIGI RACK IMO

Hope this helps

anonymous Wed, 03/22/2006 - 12:26

I use the DIGI 002R and Cubase SX 3 on OS X 10.3.9 without any crashes except one - I have to have the Audio/MIDI setup window open or else Cubase will stop and crash at vst multitrack if not sooner at Reason - but all is fine and dandy when I got that audio/midi setup open.. I have alot of MIDI running although and I think this is why.. After cubase loads I close the audio setup

Keystation 49 USB - 1 USB OUT
DIGI 0024 - 2 Out 1 IN
DELTA AUDIOPHILE2496 - 1 IN 1 OUT

Also the DIGI has settings inside pro tools that you normally cant get to in cubase (like Levels or something) - I run a 512 buffer constantly with mixing board and a 1115-1118 Audio Delay Compensation, i dont know about the new pro tools but this is the best latency fixer ever
I have also a winblows computer with rebirth reason and cubase with the audiophile2496

Randyman... Wed, 03/22/2006 - 14:52

Dude - RME and Nuendo are a match made in heaven IMO. Why consider lesser interfaces? You also get the Latency Free Totalmix matrix mixer in RME. The ASIO Latencies go down to 1.5ms. I have 4 RME units, and I love them all. Very solid XP drivers, and killer support, too!!! RME and Steinberg have worked closely together, and RME's engineers are probably the second best ASIO writers out there (next to Steinberg who created ASIO :) ).

I prefer PCI based interfaces - and RME offers the HDSP Multiface/Digiface for these applications - OR the Firewire FireFace-800 for Firewire users...

:cool:

x

User login