Skip to main content

I enjoy making music videos on YouTube of my own song parodies. Right now I am working with a $20 desktop microphone, and trust me, it just isn't cutting it.

What I want to do is get a good microphone and a stand that will work with my computer for under $150 (preferrably around $100). I am only 15 and I am not looking for professional equipment, just something better than what I have. I may purchase a pop filter to go over the mic for the best quality.

My computer only has a Line In and Mic-In ports on the sound card. And of course several USB ports.

Could you please help me come up with the best list of products I need to get and where to get them? Like I said, I am a Newbie at this beyond my desktop mic. The editing and mixing is no problem, I am really good at that, I just need better sound quality so I can sing at full potential without worrying about being to loud to be picked up.

Thanks,
Clifton

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Fri, 02/20/2009 - 20:02

I have a Behringer Ultravoice XM8500 that sounds like someone has scooped it with a really big shovel. But it can handle fairly high spl and has the qualities of a brick, sonically and structurally and it's like $30US.
I wouldn't recommend it. But it works.

Then you'll probably want an interface. Onboard soundcards just blow chunks.
This was linked yesterday by Dave_p and it looks like a total bargain.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Alpha-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=245507

Once you get over of the sound of the Behringer mic, just get an SM57 or an SM58 and you'll sound clear as day. You could just start out with the SM58 plugged into your mic port but you wont have Cubase LE that you get with the Lexicon and you wont have any sort of quality.

So much to choose from, so little money. :P

Have fun and enjoy yourself, that's the main thing.

anonymous Fri, 02/20/2009 - 20:41

I built up a list of products based on what you told me.

Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Microphone - $19
XLR male to XLR female Microphone Cable - 15 feet - $6
Lexicon Alpha Desktop Recording Studio - $79
ATLAS SOUND MS10C MICROPHONE STAND CHROME - $30
Musicians Gear Heavy Duty Basic Mic Clip - $3
Nady MPF-6 Nady 6 Inch Clmap On - $20

Total (without shipping): $157

This is a little higher than I expected. Is there any of this I can do without? Well probably not. But can I get a few reviews on this list and tell me if it's a good idea?

Space Fri, 02/20/2009 - 21:49

To be honest, straight up and fair? No it is a waste.

The problem is not the money, it never is. It is the marketing magic that makes people believe that a few hundred bucks will have them recording some really good shit. Only one word is correct in the last statement.

Forget the recession, or the depression, and step into life. This is wishful thinking. Do your homework and get a handle on what this field entails when it speaks of gear.

Professional is the TOP choice. A complete pile of gear for 150.00? Please. Already 1500.00(USD) of education has been spent explaining the cheap mics available.

It's just not worth it.

anonymous Fri, 02/20/2009 - 22:00

This is slightly above your budget but...

When I started out, I copped a Rode NT-1, mic stand, pop filter, and a USB audio interface.

It improved my quality 1000x.

Like I said, it's above your budget, but overall it's a cheap way to get some decent quality songs recorded.

Should cost you about $300 all together. Just get a paper route or eBay some of your unwanted items around the house...

Like the above poster said, I wouldn't bother trying to budget yourself on $150. A decent condensor is gonna cost you 150-200 alone.

Codemonkey Fri, 02/20/2009 - 22:20

Your list here... I have a few queries.

ATLAS SOUND MS10C MICROPHONE STAND CHROME - $30
Musicians Gear Heavy Duty Basic Mic Clip - $3
Nady MPF-6 Nady 6 Inch Clmap On - $20

You shouldn't need a Mic Clip if you're getting a stand/mic (all our mics came with clips, that screw onto standard mic stands).

Besides the website's typo with the last thing - you could replace that with a $1 coathanger and a $2 pair of pantyhose.
Not as effective but - still better than raw.

If you want to totally eliminate the pop filter, get a little further away from the mic, and engage a LPF in your software.
Still not as good but still acceptable. I record a bunch of vocals off a mixer, I just use a 75Hz LPF and a little low shelf.

Total (without shipping): $134.

But I still don't like the Behringer mic.
If you want to read a little, consult this thread entitled [[url=http://[/URL]="http://recording.or…"]"cheap set-up help"[/]="http://recording.or…"]"cheap set-up help"[/].
It has a good discussion between a guy who wants a cheap mic, and us who want him to get a more expensive mic that will make his life easier.

dave_p Sun, 02/22/2009 - 08:15

ugh, the kid said he wants to spend 150 dollars, why cant you just help him or stfu. "everything will sound like crap at 150$" is not help. thats plain discouragement.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-SP1-Microphone-and-Stand-Package?sku=277031

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Alpha-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=245507

a cheap simple studio for only 100$ USD
it will sound good enough to keep a casual user happy and learn the ropes, for a very small outlay of cash. the cubaseLE software that comes with the interface is really nice. you can actually get a lot done with that little setup. it will sound ok as long as you make it sound ok. and it costs nothing. it will whet your appetite and gain you some skills. when you want to be timbaland (which everyone here thinks you want to be) then you can explore expensive gear.
i have used/use the items listed above, and they work fine for what you seem to want to do. i am a 40 yr old adult, with a good career and can afford what i want. i have worked in profesional studios with professional gear. for what you want to spend this will be fine. and they will be things you can continue to use if you expand.

RemyRAD Sun, 02/22/2009 - 08:28

All you need for your own stuff is one of those "Pro" USB microphones, now been manufactured by numerous manufacturers.

If you have the need plug-in more than 1 or 2 microphones, everything else available will be out of your budget, completely.

Which USB microphones? Any of them. You can even purchase a simple XLR to USB microphone adapters and just get yourself a Shure SM58 & an additional foam pop filter.

The above-mentioned suggestions are within your budget and are the only things within your budget.

Budget boob
Ms. Remy Ann David

Space Sun, 02/22/2009 - 09:33

dave_p wrote: ugh, the kid said he wants to spend 150 dollars, why cant you just help him or stfu. "everything will sound like crap at 150$" is not help. thats plain discouragement.

I looked for this line, typed in this thread, I did not see it?

As a matter of choice, everyone must have at least two. Either it is doable or it is not. Then there is the always missed and rarely cared for third option.

Just for the record, even a stupid ass uneducated 2 bit worthless comment has as much right to be on these boards as the underfunded lazy questions that get posted ;)

dave_p Sun, 02/22/2009 - 10:57

Space wrote: [quote=dave_p]ugh, the kid said he wants to spend 150 dollars, why cant you just help him or stfu. "everything will sound like crap at 150$" is not help. thats plain discouragement.

I looked for this line, typed in this thread, I did not see it?

As a matter of choice, everyone must have at least two. Either it is doable or it is not. Then there is the always missed and rarely cared for third option.

Just for the record, even a stupid ass uneducated 2 bit worthless comment has as much right to be on these boards as the underfunded lazy questions that get posted ;)

uneducated? ill have you know mister i went to community college!

continue to take yourself seriously, i will continue to take neither of us seriously.

Space Sun, 02/22/2009 - 11:24

You miss my un-pointed point my long distance brother.

The short version is, everyone gets to give an opinion, you me and whoever else.

It is the equivalent of "if you don't have anything useful to say stfu" that also applied to your post, my post and the original poster.

I do not take myself serious, but those who encounter words they do not want to hear, presented by me, usually do ;)

So at the end of the day, my post is as relevant to the topic as yours was, dave_p, and as CodeMonkeys' was and as the original posters question was and as that mysterious poster you claimed that posted, but I still have yet to see that post.

Some areas of the world MIGHT even consider it conversation, I think Twitter.com is trying to introduce a hyper threading real time update on blogs and such which will make Google.com more inclined to develop this kind of technology.

You think I'm difficult? Wait until ALL the 15 year olds jump in with the "me too" comments.

Lets see how diluted the thread becomes with that type of infiltration.

anonymous Sun, 03/01/2009 - 15:02

Blue Snowball.
I own one use it for writing sessions. Small portable and for 100 bucks comes with a desk stand. For a 15y/o that doesnt know much or anything about recording and Mic's he will be on cloud 9 when he uses it! Giving him a list of adapters, package deals and fancy numerated abreviated named usb condensers will just confuse him.

Hey kid dont just take my word for it musicians friend will give you a bit of reading for reference on the different types. Check it out. They have reviews also. Easy.

Isaac

djmukilteo Sun, 03/01/2009 - 15:51

"What I want to do is get a good microphone and a stand that will work with my computer for under $150 (preferrably around $100)."

Slyth66 (Clifton):
This is an easy one....
Shure SM58 ($99) and maybe a deskstand ($10)...
You will never regret buying that mic...and you will use it forever...
That is absolutely the perfect mic for what you want to do....

Just do it!