Skip to main content

If you could only have one for Vocals, which one would you choose?

Comments

anonymous Mon, 09/01/2003 - 20:07

Originally posted by tripnek:
To you perhaps!

Surprising that you think those factors are unimportant. Oh, well!

What you should know about the EB's is that there are two basic variations. The older one is considered more desireable. Someone explained it to me once, but I forget the exact details, so hopefully an expert like Kurt will chime in with the correct facts.

This may be all wrong, but here's what I vaguely remember:

The older ones, used a C12 capsule. The newer ones used something more like the current b/ULS. The way you tell is that the older ones were all silver, while the newer ones are black on one side and silver on the other. The newer ones also say "P48" on them.

As I said, my memory is fuzzy, so I may be all wrong. But certainly worth doing some research to see which one is the one for sale, as the older one is worth bidding higher on than the newer one.

If it is the newer variation, you might be just as well off with a used 414b/ULS at a lower price.

AudioGaff Mon, 09/01/2003 - 21:55

Tripnek, starting gobs of threads and a poll on the same subject without giving enough detailed and important information for others to give you good advice is NOT how your gonna learn much. If you just want someone to tell you what you should buy, then that is what you should ask.

For everybody else...

Since the 414-EB has been out of production for quite some time, it is not the color or any other cosmetic feature that is as important as which capsule they have as any these could have been modified by now. The original EB included a brass capsule which is what was used it the original C12 and is the most desireable and of much higher value. The other is the newer clone of the brass capsule made of teflon. There are a few other minor differences as well.

tripnek Tue, 09/02/2003 - 12:57

I am asking questions that “I” want the answer too. Things that will add to the info I have already acquired to help me make the decisions I need to make. Info that I want, not the info some pompous ass thinks I need to know. I have far more knowledge than you probably think, but what I lack is the experience with the actual mics in question. If I had a shit load of money to buy all these mics, one to fit each vocalist who walks through my door, there would be no problem. We could sit and debate the attributes of this capsule versus that, but I don’t. So I need to use other peoples experience to help me choose one for the moment. If people have more info to add to the subject, great. The more info the better. I have picked up little things here and there on these forums that are absolutely invaluable. But I have no need for some over bearing jerk, which is probably far less intelligent than he thinks he is, to drop in and try to make me look stupid. If my posts are beneath you, (or more likely, you just don’t understand the purpose of my questions) then go reply to someone else’s and leave mine alone. There are plenty of other members willing to share their information with out the added ego inflation. The main purpose of my pole was to simply see how many people would pick the AT4050 just to see how many people use and like this mic, but you wouldn’t have known that.

AudioGaff Tue, 09/02/2003 - 21:45

Oh Tripnek, just because your an overwelmed, frustrated and impaient newbie, there is no need to have a temper tandtrum. You feeling like you are looking stupid has little to do with me and more to do with you. If you think I'm such a jerk or pompass ass that has no value to add to your lack of experience or in being in any way a professional, it sure didn't stop you from sending me private email asking the same lame, and dumb ass questions that people here and I have tried to help answer. But all is ok. This recording stuff can be very confusing to understand for the novice like you. The technology involved can often be scary and appear to be like some sort of magic that you just can't seem to grasp or master. Don't pout, don't cry, keep reading, keep trying, keep your trembling chin up, smile and just have fun. Not every wanna-be who wants to be good at this is up to the challange. This may very well apply to you...

3dchris Wed, 09/03/2003 - 05:38

Tripnek,
There is no "best" microphone. It all depends on the vocalist's voice characteristics. I owe AT 4033a, rode NTK and TLM103 and I'm in love with the Neumann. I think it sits in the mix so well you don't really need any eq. It works best for "clear in your face" type of vocals. NTK however has more character and I would probably prefer it over 103 for some alternative/heavy rock vocals. 4033a is in the lower league IMHO. I don't have 4050 but I don't expect it to be as good as NTK or 103.

thx,

chris

Davedog Wed, 09/03/2003 - 17:11

All RIGHT ....heres where I do my work...Tripnek...I have read all of the responses to your question and believe me NO ONE was replying to your inquiries as a "pompous ass"...your response to the very well meaning questions being asked about your 'not all that clear' questions, was inappropriate and rude.If you do not want the information which is readily available to all who ask in a polite and responsible way, then I can suggest 'other' alternative BBS' where you can knock your brains out trying to get a straight answer to anything.

As a moderator of this thread I suggest you reread all the responses given with less of a chip on YOUR shoulder and see if you cant come to the same conclusion that I'm sure most did.Perhaps an apology on your part will go a LONG way to aquiring your info you seek.However if you cant act in an adult manner then I will be forced to kick your butt off this thread.