Skip to main content

Hello,
I have a pair of apex 460's that I'm going to upgrade with Dave Thomas. I'm trying to figure out which option to choose to complement my current collection. He offers three verieties, 1. capsule simalar to u87/u67/m239. 2. capsule similar to c12/elam 251. 3. capsule similar to u47. I mostly record hard rock/heavy metal and am looking to use the modded apex 460's as overheads, vocals, acustics, and room mics. I'm looking for brightness without sounding empty. Detail without harshness.

For LD condencers I currently have at4050x2, at4060, RODE nt4, nt1a, nt2000, marshal mxl2000, and few other cheap mics from various companies. I mostly record hard rock/heavy metal.

Here's my logic so far. I want a mic that sounds the least like my others (usfullness comes before this though). My 4050's are simalar to u87, bright and detailed. The 4060 is similar to u47, on the smoother side, less high end/presents more body. That leaves me with the c12 mod. It's very hard for me to decide because I've never worked with an AKG c12 on my own and have no way of trying one out. Would the c12 mod be a good choice as overheads/ room mics for heavy stuff or would the u87/u67 be better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments