Skip to main content

alright, got my ISA 428. Loving it. Now i'm looking for a compressor, or possible a channel strip with a very good compressor in it. I'm looking for something that will give my my drum samples major phatness. I was thinking maybe a thick Neve type piece to complement my ISA 482.

doesn't have to be dual channel. i'm basically looking for a color, to phatten up my kicks and snares with. I thought about the LA-610, but it would bug me not being able to use the Pre, and the compressor seperatly, which the 610 doesn't do.

Am i better off just going with a distressor? the reason i'm thinking channel strip is because i also record some rock stuff, and I thought having a good tube around would be very useful.

any ideas? trying to keep the cost under $1700.

Thanks,
-jon

Comments

anonymous Tue, 03/22/2005 - 13:54

Jazzy,

I auditioned the UA-6176 before my ISA-428, but went with the ISA-428 for the additional channels. The UA-6176 is an awesome piece for the color capabilities and the 1776 comp. alone. And IMHO would compliment the ISA very well. I got to audition it with my mic at the time, SP-C1, it was BUTTER!

I too am looking at a Vintech X81 & X73i. For compresion chores the Distressors seem to be used quite a bit, another comp. I'm interested in is from Tubetech.

I think if you could find a good used UA-6176(not sure what they are going for now) it would give a nice contrast to the ISA + the 1176. Nice Phat bass, warm leads & synths as well as vocals. Sounds like a good marriage.

Peace
JGYC!