Skip to main content

Hey folks i just bought the Focusrite ISA 428 about a month ago and the damn thing doesnt seem to work properly.

Ive tried different mics, cords,configurations and what I'm getting is a clipped signal half way up the meter(-8). It almost sounds like it is being overly compressed. This seems to be most problematic in the low end,but the general description is static,and muffled.

Ive tried diff impedance settings, diff mic channels, cords, mics, even tried switcjing the fuse in the back as it allows 4 different positions.(two of which may be useable for me.)

thanx in advance
ps where that smile face resides is suppoed to be an 8.dont know whats up with that

Comments

moonbaby Tue, 12/25/2007 - 11:07

Note: You have to put an extra space in between the "-8" and the parentheses to ditch the emoticon...
Are you using it with the optional A/D card? Is there any processing plugged into the inserts? As far as the meters are concerned, do they seem to correlate with the LED metering? Like BRH indicated, we need more info...

anonymous Tue, 12/25/2007 - 12:27

sure guys thanks, um let see... i tried using sm57 , 58, 81, beta 52 with a good XLR cable in and a good XLR cable out into the firepod with the gain the whole way down on the firepod. This 'clipping', seems most prominent on bass instruments but a vocal mic will do it just as easily ,especially using the beta 52 with the vocals(just for test).Bass frequencies seem to do a better job of clipping the unit but it always sounds muffled or smashed.

The meter and lights seem to correlate real well,and i also tried running into a different mixer(yamaha md 8)and listening via phones. same result,distorted sound.I am not using the optional A/D card.

one other note, i had a compressor(266XL) with a bad cable in the insert path while speaking through a sm58 ,the clipping was horrendous.When i took the compessor out of the path entirely, the noise lessened.

BRH Tue, 12/25/2007 - 12:42

The reason it's clipping is that you are most likely running a line level signal out of the ISA into the firepod mic input!
Using an XLR into the firepod is mic level about 50db too hot.
Use an XLR out of the ISA to 1/4 TRS into the firepod.
"Level all the way down" on the firepod is a dead giveaway, you are overloading the mic pres in the firepod.

anonymous Thu, 12/27/2007 - 06:59

well just to let you guys know, Mr BRH was infact 100 % correct on the reason i was hearing a clipped signal. the reason why it didnt work right when i first attempted to set it up his way was a bad cord. Why didnt i know this(these) cord(s) was bad before? It worked fine for every other application. Matter of fact ,i have a few cords that wont work in the studio but work ok for live sound or running straight into the firepod.Wont work with the ISA though.Another note is that when rigging into the firepod this way , you must use inputs 3 through 8 as jax 1&2 are istrument level.

thanks for helpin me out
will

x

User login