Skip to main content

hell everyone,

this may be a dumb question...but I can't figure this out. Im looking at purchasing 2 ISA 428's w/ the A/D card.

Once the card is installed in the ISA, how do I hook it up to my PC? I currently have a Tascam FW-1884. do I hook it to this? Can I hook it to the FW-1884 through the ADAT connections? If I do this are the Tascam converters then in use, thereby degrading the signal?

I was under the impression that in purchasing the A/D card I could have an additional 8 channels besides the FW-1884.

I have searched in this forum and on the Focusrite site and am not finding the info I need.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

anonymous Thu, 12/08/2005 - 17:18

thanks for the replies....

i just want to make sure i have this right.....
With the card I run ADAT into my TASCAM FW-1884 and I thereby have 8 inputs from the A/D card....AND I still have my other 8 on the tascam available for a total of 16? Or does doing it this way only give me 8 and eliminate the onboard pre's on the TASCAM?

Thanks again!

anonymous Thu, 12/08/2005 - 18:26

Okay - this should make it easy. I've never use the Tascam unit you're talking about, but I saw on Tascam's website that the unit has the ADAT lightpipe connection on the rear, very similar to many other units out there... here's how you would set it up -

Using an optical cable, connect between the lightpipe output on the rear of the Focusrite A/D converter (make sure you plug it into the one that says 1-8 @48kHz - the tascam, to the best of my knowledge, does not support SMUX) and the lightpipe input on the rear of the Tascam. This will allow you to use channels 1-4 of your ISA 428, plus 4 more external preamps, if you have them, which can be connected and trasmitted as channels 5-8 from the ISA 428 A/D card. These 8 inputs are in ADDITION to your 8 preamps on the Tascam (to the best of my knowledge). And, yes, that equals 16 simultaneous channels.

The only catch to using the ADAT format is that it will restrict your recording to 48kHz. This may, or may not, be a disadvantage to you, but it's worth mentioning.

I hope this has helped some. Let me know if you need anymore help.

D.

Calgary Thu, 12/08/2005 - 19:05

Actually, the ISA 428 IS 8 channels (4 Focusrite Pres, along with 4 external balanced inputs). With the A/D option card, all 8 channels can be transmitted via ADAT or SMUX. Great piece of gear. I want one bad.

Agreed. This is definitely on my wish list too. I know several people who bought these and they sound excellent IMO. 8-)

Eriksmusicproduction Thu, 12/08/2005 - 19:29

I have both the fw1884 and 428 with ad card.

The tascam does do smux therefore you can run 96k but limited to 4 tracks from the 428 using the adat cable.

However, notice that the fw1884 is an 18 input machine? That means that you can also run an additional 2 track of spdif as well which the 428 card outputs thereby using 6 of the 8 outs from the 428. just get a DB9M to spdif (rca jacks) cable, which focusrite makes but is about 50$, presonus also makes one which you can find on sweetwater or similar site for about half that.

Hook up one adat cable and one spdif and your good to go for an additional 6 track at 96k, or just use the adat and run 8 tracks if your only running 48k.

Hope this helps.

note that you would only be using 1 of the 4 rca's on the spdif cable.

anonymous Fri, 12/09/2005 - 13:30

Eriksmusicproduction wrote: I have both the fw1884 and 428 with ad card.

The tascam does do smux therefore you can run 96k but limited to 4 tracks from the 428 using the adat cable.

However, notice that the fw1884 is an 18 input machine? That means that you can also run an additional 2 track of spdif as well which the 428 card outputs thereby using 6 of the 8 outs from the 428. just get a DB9M to spdif (rca jacks) cable, which focusrite makes but is about 50$, presonus also makes one which you can find on sweetwater or similar site for about half that.

Hook up one adat cable and one spdif and your good to go for an additional 6 track at 96k, or just use the adat and run 8 tracks if your only running 48k.

Hope this helps.

note that you would only be using 1 of the 4 rca's on the spdif cable.

Thanks for clarifying that - I have never used the 1884, so I wasn't sure if it supported SMUX or not. I'm glad someone who knew for sure was able to clarify. Now, I know. Thanks!