Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

Some of you might remember a thread I posted a while ago about spending US$4000 on preamps. Turns out I'll only have half that money for 6 months, and I have a CD to record that must be out by December.

So, I can only buy one of the pres we discussed, and they were the Langevin Dual Vocal Combo and the Focusrite ISA428.

I'll be recording acoustic and electric guitar, electric bass and vocals. The drums will be either programmed or I'll record them at a local studio, since I can't really play them at home (my neighbours won't allow it). I won't be needing the extra 2-channels of the ISA for now, I'm interested in sonic quality only.

So, which would you use as the only pre in a soft rock CD (lots of acoustic passages and lightly overdriven electric guitars)?

Thanks.

Comments

Blueberry Fri, 07/30/2004 - 03:02

Read this http://www.digitalprosound.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=19932

After hearing the DVC, I purchased it and could not be happier. The optic compressors really are the best I have heard. You bascially do not hear them. So your sound is not affected by the limiter. By the way I am Glenn and did the review on the link above. I would not say that the DVC sounds better or worse thant the 428. However with the optic compresoors built in and the limited EQ, for tracking vocals especially, it is incredible. It keeps the vocal performance more even and smooth without adding any artifacts to the signal. The pre's o the DVC are outstanding. My review has all the info you need.

I could tell you that the DVC is made in CA and the 428 is in China, but I am not sure what difference in quality that really makes. If you don't need the extra mic pre's, I would go for the DVC. By the way the limiter on the 428 only is a limiter when you get the converter card, and is not even close to what the DVC has.

Doublehelix Sat, 07/31/2004 - 20:36

I've got the 428, and have used it on projects with lots of tracks(For example, maybe 12 out of 20 might be from the 428), and I really haven't noticed a build-up effect. The Langevin is really nice, without doubt, and the compressors are worth the price of admission alone.

For me, it was the 4-channels that sold me, plus, each channel has balanced inserts which allow you to patch in any type of effect quite easily. Add in the variable impedence and the optional A/D, and it is really a great unit at a great price point.

But as Blueberry says, they are both great units, and you won't go wrong with either piece.

Good luck!