Skip to main content

Well I have been recording for 3 months now and am ready to commit. I have an Apple Imac G5 (1gig ram, 1.6 proccesor), Firebox, Small Behringer Mixer, and a MXL 990 Condensor Mic.

I record mainly folk, indie, experimental, funk music. I am looking to get a warm, vintage sound like the old America, Zeppelin, and Simon & Garfunkel albums.
I would appreciate suggestions on a good vox mic, drum mics, and acoustic mics. As well as a pre-amp and monitors. I would like to keep this all under $2000 if possible
thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

Guest Sat, 06/04/2005 - 03:45

$2000 suggestion

Hello,
I am not exactally sure which models you are looking at (highend, medium cost range, or budget gear), or what type of gear you are looking at (pre-amps, compressors, upgrade to new mixer with better sounding pre's, effects processor, or whatever).
I read your list of quipment. But what one guy would add to the list next, would be different than what another guy would add.
So with that having been said, I am gonna take a stab at it and suggest either a tube pre-amp for that vintage sound.
Maybe a Millennia TD-1 would be nice for you, it's a pre-amp with a tube and solid state DI. Which I hear is a very nice piece of gear. Or maybe the UA gear has more of a sound that is of your taste. Try looking at some of the gear at http://www.littledogaudio.com
Or any of them, for that matter.
Also you can get, a vintage sounding mic. What do YOU think you want to add to your studio setup next?
An effects processor, that has some sort of vintage analog "tape delay" might work for you on vocals also.
Help us narrow it down a bit.

anonymous Sat, 06/04/2005 - 04:33

I suppose I am trying to ask which items including: (Drums mics, Vox, Mic, and acoustic mics, as well as a good pre amp and set of monitors), would you guys suggest if i was going for a vintage, warm tone. Of course with it all being below $2000.

The Mic and pres (behringer mixer, firebox) sound really awful for the most part. really trebly and on vox really boxy

Guest Sat, 06/04/2005 - 04:52

funkymonk wrote: Of course with it all being below $2000.

My Great River pre-amp was $2000 (2 channel) my effects processor for reverb was $1700. It's pretty tuff to get "quality" gear for much less than $2000. My monitors are not the best, but they are very nice and they cost me $1500 for the pair.

anonymous Mon, 06/13/2005 - 15:38

funkymonk wrote: I suppose I am trying to ask which items including: (Drums mics, Vox, Mic, and acoustic mics, as well as a good pre amp and set of monitors), would you guys suggest if i was going for a vintage, warm tone. Of course with it all being below $2000.

The Mic and pres (behringer mixer, firebox) sound really awful for the most part. really trebly and on vox really boxy

A Sebatron preamp with a Shure KSM44 vocal mic,very clean tones depending on the Sebs settings,I was able to get both units on e-bay for about $1400.

anonymous Thu, 06/16/2005 - 06:27

$2000 ain't gonna buy you much. In fact you should give up music totally if that's all you can afford. Take up lawn bowls, or knitting instead. :P
C'mon guys, this is the "budget gear" forum!

I'm no expert, but surely $2000 will buy a fairly decent mic and pre, with tubes on at least one. I love the sound of my Rode K2, and the GT Brick gets good reviews around these parts. Get the Behringer out of the signal chain (i would suspect that to be the main culprit). There might even be change for some monitors. It may not be vintage gear, but we all have to start somewhere.

anonymous Thu, 06/23/2005 - 08:59

The pres onj the firebox will get you started easily.

Don't listen to anyone who says they sound not good...

They wont give you a ton of character,,but they will give you a nice clear signal.

Check ebay for AT mics...audio technica...

perhaps hate to say it...but a GT Brick. That and good AT 4060 mic might get you some or all of the way to your vintage sound. That and some nice akai GX series analog tape :)