Skip to main content

sup peoples,

ok first off here is what I am working with :
running a AT3035 cardioid condenser mic
through a Eurorack MX 602A to a the Audigy 2 Platinum card.
what I do is, I'll export or cut a loop of my beats to record the vocals on, using Acid 4.0 and the Creative ASIO drivers.
I would like to squeeze the best quality possable out of what gear I am working with...and was wondering how do i, or can I go any higher than 16/48 bit depth and sample rate. When I try I get "bit depth or sample rate not supported by ASIO driver" or similar...,
and since I mainly make my beats with FLstudio I"ll run my vocals through there aswell which only supports samples up to
16/48. so if I did record in say 24/96 I have to export it to a 16/48 wave anyway...would this be worth the quality loss?
I was also wondering, regarding my Audigy card's inputs.
for the gear I'm using, should I but running into the analog mix line,
microphone, or line in 2 / mic in 2?. .
oh yeah, and should I have any gain on when recording?
I'm not sure if I like it or not. .

any advice / answers ?
thnx

Comments

anonymous Wed, 06/16/2004 - 05:45

In order to track at 24 bit/fs you need a better sound card.

Say something like one of the Motu firewire units?

Tracking at 24/44.1 is fine for what your doing...then before exporting your samples to take to the FL studio convert then to 16 bit/44.1........this will work fine.

Yes..it's better to track to 24 bits.

anonymous Thu, 06/17/2004 - 04:51

thnx Randy, it's nice to see someone finally replied to my post.
unfortunatley I don't have the money right now to invest in another card, though I am recording in 24/48 with asio,
and have heard that any difference in quality from 24/48 up to 24/96 isn't even audible to the human ear. So I'm not even sure a better card would be worth the investment.
If this is true, then my only remaining issue is concerning asio drivers and latency. I'm not sure that I fully understand how it works...if I have latency set to like 20ms...does this mean that no matter how tight my performance, my vocals will always be 50ms off?...if so, is there any way I can fix this, like say;
sliding my vocals to the left by 20ms?

anonymous Thu, 06/17/2004 - 23:33

sampsoniter wrote: thnx Randy, it's nice to see someone finally replied to my post.
unfortunatley I don't have the money right now to invest in another card, though I am recording in 24/48 with asio

That's fine...I thought you were recording at 16/44.1

I track at 24/44.1....

and have heard that any difference in quality from 24/48 up to 24/96 isn't even audible to the human ear.

This isn't true.....far from it actually. Whether it's justifiable or not is another question.....Unless your tracking major label stuff then I think your fine at 24/48 or 44.1 (my preference)

If this is true, then my only remaining issue is concerning asio drivers and latency. I'm not sure that I fully understand how it works...if I have latency set to like 20ms...does this mean that no matter how tight my performance, my vocals will always be 50ms off?...if so, is there any way I can fix this, like say;
sliding my vocals to the left by 20ms?

Have latency set to?......what do you mean...there's a "latency" setting for your soundcard?

If this is what I think it is, this setting will adjust for latency caused by the recording process. You'll need to set it to whatever your latency is...

This can be found out by recording something playing back on your monitors and measuring the difference between the played back audio and the recorded audio in ms.....

Watch for feedback

anonymous Sat, 06/19/2004 - 03:08

24bit @ 44.1 or 48KHz isn't a problem for quality. The real issue here is that the Audigy won't go higher than this whilst under the ASIO driver. The difference in going to a designated recording card will be in the converters (AD/DA). Convertors are not all created equal, as demoing cards from ( only examples) RME, M Audio, E-MU and Digidesign ect... will all yeild different results depending on the converter.

I'm not very familiar with Acid and FL but you may be able to monitor with no latency whilst recording, so that there are no audible delays in your recorded vocals.