Skip to main content

Hi guys,
this is my situation. I've been working for a while recording and producing. I've been at World Class and Garage class studios, done some Home Projects and my on Projects. I'm mounting a little Home Studio at my place to do some of the work I used to do at my studio until it closed. I was using 2 Delta 1010 LT and it as ok. I had a big room and done lots of live sessions.

Well, the thing is. I live in Argentina and prices here goes a lot different. Almost the DOUBLE as in US. Let's Say:

MOTU 828 mkII U$S 1140
MOTU Traveler U$S 1260
Digi 003 rack U$S 1650
Digi 001 (used) U$S 460
M-Audio Profire 2626 U$S 1600

I want to upgrade to a set up that allows me for expansion some time from no but I'm not sure if I must purchase a new interface with some built in preamps and ADAT option or buy some used gear and work it.

I have the option of buying a used 001. Do you think it will work ok if i buy some good Converters and pres and use the ADAT input later. May I ait and buy some of the other options. I usually track 2-4 tracks at the same time. Eventually I would take all the gear and take it to another location to track some live sessions.

Thank you in advance.
eFe

P.S: Figure that a big world class studio here is renterd for U$S 50/hour.

Topic Tags

Comments

hueseph Mon, 09/29/2008 - 13:48

Don't bother with the Digi001. You'll end up confining yourself to older computer sytems and an older version of LE. For $1650, the 003 rack looks pretty good. If you already have software the MOTU 828 MkII is nice or the MOTU 8Pre. If you need to expand, the 001 definitely isn't for you. I would check the options from Presonus and RME as well. If you're going to spend money, you might as well make sure it will be well worth your while.

anonymous Tue, 09/30/2008 - 08:05

I was JUST about to make a DIGI 001 thread!

Hello,
i was considering buy a digi 002 for about 500. and sell my fw1804
(to run both protools and cubase)
but i stumbled on a few 001's for super cheap.
my question is...... are there significant differences between the protools software available on the 002 than on the software available on the 001?
i generally want to own the 001 for learn protools

thanks

hueseph Tue, 09/30/2008 - 08:52

If you have an older machine kicking around, the 001 would be fine. The major differences in the newer versions of ProTools are simply compatibility. Midi implementation is better. There are some significant work flow improvements so I'm told but I haven't used PT since 6.9. I'd like to move into a newer LE system eventually. The interface is essentially the same as in 6.9. If you can get a Digi002 for 500 though, I'd go for that instead. The 001s are old now. Chances are you won't be able to use it for very long before it starts to die.

Kev Mon, 10/06/2008 - 13:11

SeniorFedup wrote: i generally want to own the 001 for learn protools

good for learning
on XP/SP2, PT le 6.4 is the latest
could also be the latest for Mac

I suggest XP with a cost effective PCI equiped mother board

midi isn't as sweet as the newer stuff but does work and can give a very good taster for what is on offer
6 to 12 months on a system like this can give a very good standing to make the leap to a very new system

there is much to learn about recording and about the use of PT or any DAW based workflow