Skip to main content

Hi everyone.

I'm new... at least to the Digi 001 forum (but not th RO) My name is Phil O'Keefe, and I own a commercial studio out in Riverside CA. I've tried to avoid PT for some time, but I guess I'm going to have to add it for compatability with some of my clients and with larger studios in Hollywood (I've been using hard disk recorders and Logic Platinum and more receintly I added Sonar and am using these programs with a Frontier Design Dakota / Montana card setup and a Tascam US-428).

Anyway, here's my questions:

1. I went to NAMM, and while they had a working version of Windows XP capable LE software, it's probably not going to ship for a couple / few
months. So I'll probably have to install ME or 98 SE on one of our PC's (currently running XP) - any preferences in terms of stability /
reliability? Mac's not really an option right now...

2. Anyone using a Digi 001 on a Compaq PC? I'm thinking of installing it on a Compaq 5005SR (933 MHz PIII, 512 MB RAM, dual 7,200 rpm HDD's, Intel 810 E Mobo chipset). Should this be compatable? Graphics are on the mobo (AGP) but no AGP card slot... should I consider a different motherboard?

3. Track expectations on a system like this? Should I be able to get 24 tracks and a few plugins? I really plan on using it mostly for
editing, but I'm curious about how much I can realistically expect from this PC with the '001.

4. Can I use the Digi 001 hardware (MIDI port, audio / lightpipe connections) from within Logic Platinum? Anyone actually doing this? I'd like to continue using Logic for MIDI and PT LE for audio
editing...

5. Sync is an issue for me. I understand sync pretty well - there's two forms of sync - positional sync (MTC) and word clock sync. I have
read that the Digi 001 doesn't have a BNC connection for hooking up my studio's master word clock into, but I have heard it can clock
word clock from an external device connected to the S/PDIF port. Does anyone know if it can lock to external word clock off an incoming ADAT lightpipe connection? If not, I guess I can hook up a MIDI cable from one of my hard disk recorder's MIDI out for positional sync, and
send the Digi 001 word clock over S/PDIF from one of the other devices that are clocked from the master word clock device. Since the 001 uses MTC trigger sync, it should remain stable lockup for a considerable amount of time as long as all devices are running from a common word clock source. Comments / suggestions / opinions?

6. Does the 001 use .WAV format for the files? Can I freely exchange .WAV files between Logic and PT LE?

Anyway, I'm sure that I'll have more questions, and I look forward to participating in the Digi 001 forum. Any and all suggestions and input are
greatly appreciated!

Thanks again, and sorry for so many questions at once.

Topic Tags

Comments

Opus2000 Tue, 01/22/2002 - 11:23

Ok, first...a Compaq isnt the greatest due to the number of shit they install on it and how they configure it..also if you want to install the OS yourself plain you cant get the drivers for their cards they put in!!
Anyways, the motherboard should be fine and having a built on AGP port is no problem.
98SE or ME is fine..ME would probably be fine enough.
Well, the more memory you have the better your performance will be...24 tracks..depends on what type of plugins you use. Typically you should be able to get about 10 or 12 plugs going..
Logic does use TDM hardware but the LE I'm not sure about but I'm pretty positive I remember my buddy at sweetwater using it like that..I'll ask him
Sync...TDIF is for the audio incoming signal to make sure its in sync(No...not N'Sync :p )
Same as optical..it's embedded in the audio signal coming out of the optical outs or the TDIF outs.
You would have to sync via MTC and just put a pre roll on it so it has time to lock properly..either that or use SMPTE
If you are on a PC it will create them as Wav files..I think you can specify what format but on a PC you're better off with Wav since it doesnt have to flip the code around to read it..Mac's read Wav files backwards and PC's read AIFF files backwards.
So if both softwares are on a PC..keep it at Wav files...just export the files and import them into the different software

Cheers
Opus

anonymous Tue, 01/22/2002 - 12:20

Originally posted by Opus2000:
Ok, first...a Compaq isnt the greatest due to the number of shit they install on it and how they configure it..also if you want to install the OS yourself plain you cant get the drivers for their cards they put in!!

Hey Opus, thanks for responding!

I'm well aware of all the extra "crud" Compaq adds, and I always do a complete wipe of the drive - reformat and install a retail version of whatever Win OS I need to run (I own 98 SE, ME and XP). AS far as the drivers, it's a hassle, but I've had no problems finding everything I needed - eventually.

Anyways, the motherboard should be fine and having a built on AGP port is no problem.
98SE or ME is fine..ME would probably be fine enough.

Any benefit of one over the other for '001? I own both.

Well, the more memory you have the better your performance will be...24 tracks..depends on what type of plugins you use. Typically you should be able to get about 10 or 12 plugs going..

10-12 plugs should be MORE than enough... I plan on using this mostly for editing and then offloading it back to my hard disk recorders. And as far as RAM, the Compaq's maxed out at 512 MB.

Logic does use TDM hardware but the LE I'm not sure about but I'm pretty positive I remember my buddy at sweetwater using it like that..I'll ask him

Thanks - I appreciate it!

Sync...TDIF is for the audio incoming signal to make sure its in sync(No...not N'Sync :p )
Same as optical..it's embedded in the audio signal coming out of the optical outs or the TDIF outs.
You would have to sync via MTC and just put a pre roll on it so it has time to lock properly..either that or use SMPTE
If you are on a PC it will create them as Wav files..I think you can specify what format but on a PC you're better off with Wav since it doesnt have to flip the code around to read it..Mac's read Wav files backwards and PC's read AIFF files backwards.
So if both softwares are on a PC..keep it at Wav files...just export the files and import them into the different software

Cheers
Opus

Thanks again for the reply Opus. I appreciate it.

Phil O'Keefe
Sound Sanctuary Recording
Riverside CA

x

User login