Skip to main content

I'm thinking to buy one of those so should i save a lot of $ and go with 001 or buy mbox2?
Reason I'm asking is cos 001 is a lot cheaper and have Focusrite preamps while mbox2 have m-audio...

Topic Tags

Comments

RemyRAD Sat, 07/12/2008 - 19:53

I got an Digi design M-box 2. I'm not only underwhelmed, I'm quite disappointed by its input performance. I think you might find that the M-Audio equipment has a better front end than this sorry excuse for a professional audio input device. Not quite sure how they ended up screwing the input up so bad ? No wonder my friend doesn't want to use the microphone preamps in his new "C 24"? I asked him how he liked his new console and his comment was not in any particular language. It was more reminiscent of the sound you make with your mouth when gas has escaped from someone's personal plumbing.

So if ProTools is something you want to Master? Record & track with someone else's reputable sounding equipment into another program. Then you can export to/import to ProTools for finishing ITB. I'm sure their higher and stuff like the ICON D Control & others probably sound better? But you weren't asking about those.

If it's that Focus Ripe sound you want? Then just use an older computer and get the 001. But a better sounding AtoD converter in concert with the boutique microphone preamp of your dreams makes more sound sense.

Avoiding my M-Box 2 front end at all costs.
Ms. Remy Ann David

RemyRAD Wed, 07/16/2008 - 10:51

Here I am again. Probably because I own a 2408 mark I I.

The older ones came with the 324 PCI card but the new mark I I I comes with the 424 PCI card. I believe it offers greater soft routing & functionality?

This device, while it allows 8 balanced 1/4" line inputs & outputs, its software control interface is confusing to say the least. But its real primary advantage is that it has 6 light pipe in & out ADAT ports along with 3 bidirectional TASCAM TDIF digital ports. Both of which can be used simultaneously if one wants to transfer from or, to devices with those digital ports. Such as from an DA 88 to a HD 24 or vice versa. So that device is really important for somebody like myself that has 3 DA 88's & HD 24. In that respect, the device can also be used as a standalone converter without a computer to transfer from one device to another if you're not going into any computer software, at the time of transfer.

I'm not sure if they support Vista yet for that model?
Ms. Remy Ann David