Skip to main content

Im in the market for buying a good set of studio monitors. Im just starting to build a small home studio about 10m x 10m and will be using the monitors for making primarily electronic/house/progressive music. I'd also like to use the monitors with my dj rig at home for when I mix live demos. Im not looking for anything grossly loud or overwhelmingly bassy, I like mixing at a moderate listening level with mid bass that is punchy and dynamic.

I've narrowed down my selection to the EVENT ASP6 or Mackie HR624's. They are in the same price range and seem to be comparible models. They are both slightly out of my price range, but after looking at slightly cheaper models (KRK V6II, Behringer Truth 2030) I thought spending the little extra would be better in the long run.

I have no doubt ill end up with a good monitor either way, but it would feel better to hear some second non biased opinions before making the purchase.

Topic Tags

Comments

Cucco Tue, 02/21/2006 - 10:22

djjeffree wrote: Im just starting to build a small home studio about 10m x 10m

Neither!

If you're studio is 10mX10m, neither of these speakers will fill up that room. You'll need larger volume (not amplitude - internal volume) speakers to get up and out enough to fill up that room.

For a 900 sq/ft room, I would venture that a pair of B&W 802s would be good with a good 200W/side amplifier (perhaps even 200 watt bi-amplified set-up equalling 4 channels of 200Watts)

At a minimum, your room will be 7200 cubic feet (with 8 foot ceilings - much more if you have 9 or 12' ceilings). My largest room, which I reserve for mastering, is just under 4000 cubic feet and I have a LOT of power feeding a pair of floor standing NHTs and that are bi-amplified PLUS I have a REL subwoofer which is immensely powerful and deep. I don't think my setup would provide enough umph for a room twice my size!

Sorry - probably not what you wanted to hear, but you just won't be happy with either of these mini-monitors.

J.

Cucco Wed, 02/22/2006 - 10:57

djjeffree wrote: Hey Cucco,

You are absolutely right! You read my post right, better than I probably did at the time. I dont know what I was thinking when I wrote 10m x 10m... :( It must have been late at night.... Anyway, the correct dimensions for my room would be 3m x 3.5m with 3m ceilings! :lol:

Hehe...I've done stupid stuff like that before...no worries.

In that case, both monitors are very nice, but I prefer the sound of the ASP6s. I much prefer the Dynaudio BM6's or BM5's though. (Well, not "much" - the ASP6 is a nice sounding monitor).

J.

TeddyG Thu, 02/23/2006 - 10:36

Yes indeed! While listening in the store won't tell you everything, it will be a big help. Great if we could always A/B in our own rooms, but, at least being able to hear/see things before we buy is the next best... At least ask(If the dealer isn't too far away or whatever) if you could, somehow, "try" the different speakers in YOUR room? They may be able to offer some sort of arrangement - maybe the friendly salesperson would even make the trip, themselves, with several pairs? Offer lunch, and/or "gas money"?

I was salivating there for a minute over having a 10mx10m "small" home studio. Ha!

TG