Skip to main content

What's up everyone! This is my first time posting here.

I have a PC. I use the M-audio Firewire 410 sound card, my Behringer Eurorack UB-1622fx pro mixer and my Sony A/V receiver and this is how I had it set up.

Sony A/V reciever's CD input TO Behringer Tape output

M-audio Firewire 410 Line output 1/2 TO Behringer Channel 5/6 input.(Stereo)

M-audio Firewire 410 Line input 1/2 TO Behringer Sub outputs 1/2.

Everything worked GREAT! All of my software, keyboards etc..worked great. I'd have my Sony Reciever set to around 60, I'd have my Firewire 410 running through my Behringer mixer so I could adjust the treble, bass etc the way I like it(that's why I didn't run through the main outs.) Also, the reciever let me hook up more speakers and other components as well incase your wondering.

Here's the problem...

I bought a Behringer Eurodesk SL3242FX pro mixer today and I can't seem to rout it the same way I had my old mixer. On my old mixer the "MAIN" Volume to the right of the mixer would turn down everything but on this mixer, the "MAIN" volume does nothing at all. I'd like to be able to be able to use the main volume fader to turn down EVERYTHING, Like it should. The best I could do is used some subgroup faders to turn down somethings but that's about it. I'd like my Firewire 410 to go through one of the stereo channels of my mixer, and have it set to a certain volume(I never touch after it's set cause the main volume controlls the overall. I'd like to just have it the way I had it.

Can anyone please tell me the correct way to rout my Behringer Mixer and my M-audio firewire 410? The Sony receiver is easy. It just goes into the Tape Output but the rest I've been having problems with for HOURS. I have seached may sites, read articles and forums...you name it. I just need some help at this point.

Sorry for the long description. The more info you have to work with, the better.

Thank you in advance.

Doc

Comments

moonbaby Fri, 12/04/2009 - 03:43

What's up, Doc?
You DID know THAT was coming, didn't you?
First off, welcome to RO.
Secondly, it is a bit disconcerting that you have purchased TWO Be$%$#&^r mixers in a row (seriously, please refrain from spelling out THAT name in its' entirety, it does something nasty to the search engines that audiokid, our esteemed admin does not like), but you are new here, so all's forgiven...

I believe that the problem you are experiencing is that he designers of the first mixer deemed that the "Tape Outs" would be internally tapped "post fader" from the Master fader. Apparently the brainiacs that designed the newer mixer didn't feel that way, and so they made them "pre fader". This was probably because the mixer was designed more for live sound, and in that scenario, one would probably NOT want the Master level -used to adjust the overall volume of the sound system-
to affect the level being fed to a recorder ("Tape"??? Do they even MAKE that anymore?), due to the inherent problems of changing levels during a performance.
I think that your only workaround to this issue is to use a different pair of outs, but there may be some other problems when you do this...
-

Boswell Fri, 12/04/2009 - 03:49

I won't make any judgmental comments about your new mixer, but what do you mean by "turn down everything"? Are you talking about during recording, replay or tracking?

If you want the main fader to control the signal evel to your Sony, you have to connect it to the mixer's main TRS jack outputs, not the RCA outputs which are pre-fader on this desk.

docmiaz Fri, 12/04/2009 - 07:52

I never had a problem with any of the Behringer mixers I've owned. They never broke or shorted out on me. I'd like the main fader to control the volume period. For playback. I just need the main volume to work. As far as TAPE. I don't think they make tapes anymore but I don't own a tape player either. The Tape out just communicates with my receiver. It's hooked up through RCA jacks.

I think the problem has something to do with line input 1/2 of my M-audio firewire 410 because on my old mixer. I ran it to the Sub Outputs 1/2. As far as Line output 1/2 from my M-audio firewire. I ran that through a stereo channel of my mixer. I was able to adjust the overall highs and lows ect...

In this case. I could take the line inputs 1/2 from the m-audio firewire and disconnect them from my mixer and still get sound as if there is no need for the line input anymore. I think if I knew where the line inputs 1/2 from my m-audio firewire 410 should go. I think this could solve my problem. I would try to connect the Sony receiver to the main outs but I don't think it would work because I don't want the main fader to control the Sony Receiver. I have the receiver set to a specific level. I would like the main volume to control my M-audio firewire 410 wich is mainly everything. The way I had it was great! It was perfect for my workflow. Just trying to get it back.

Thanks for the comments and help and Oh yeah...WHAT"S UP DOC? I had it coming to me.LOL!

Doc