Skip to main content

I noticed Mackie has a $200 rebate on a pair of these monitors.
Looks like the 824's are selling for around $1200 before rebate.

Anybody have opinions on either the 624's or 824's and how they stack up to other brands in that $1000 price range?

Comments

kmetal Wed, 09/02/2009 - 19:54

Yes, i've been using Hr 824mk 2's for about a year in my bedroom studio. They are really clear, the bottom end on them is questionable, but i got used to it. I built some slat resonators, and mineral wool panels, and my mixes travel resonably well. They are fun to mix on and i think pretty tough to beat at this price point. i compared them to krk rokit 8's, Behringer Truth, and yamaha hsm8's and i liked the Mackies the best.

thatjeffguy Wed, 01/27/2010 - 09:55

Been using my 824s for 5 years or more, absolutely love them.

As with any monitors, you need to "learn" them within the context of your room and mix accordingly. I my case, the monitors + room combo is a little bit bass heavy, so I know to boost the low end of things a little further than I would otherwise think. Otherwise my mixes would end up to thin on the low end.

I believe that my bass-heaviness is more a result of my room than the monitors, but as I said, learn your monitors in context and you'll do fine!

Jeff

jasonwagner Wed, 01/27/2010 - 14:37

Love mine, they translate well if the room is good and work really nice with the Mackie sub which is great for dialing in stuff below 80hz or so. I can listen to music for a really long time on them without feeling fatigued.

I would advise finding a few music stores that have a decent room and try out as many monitors as you can though. Bring CDs too, not mp3s.

Davedog Fri, 01/29/2010 - 01:32

As was said, Monitors are a learning experience.

Just as a point of reference as far as Mackie 824's, I dont believe I've ever heard anyone whos uses them not make a statement about the bass being a little on the heavy side. I'm sure there are great rooms in that bunch. Its the reason I never bought them. They have a nice even upper register, but the passive woofer makes them a bit suspect on tightening the lows.

Yes, Of Course, after a time you learn them and the mixes travel.......I think if you're doing heavier music these would be something you might get into.

I'm a flat response kinda person. I love the Genelec line of speakers. ALL of em.

I come from OLD JBL's. I had a set of 4311's for a number of years. I wish I still had em. I mixed a lot of stuff on Urie's and I'm really a fan of the dual-cone and time aligned speaker systems.

Its simply easier to get it right from the beginning.

But, as has been said, and I agree with it 100%, you teach your ear to compensate for anything, and if you have some skills at mixing, whatever you listen to can do what you want.

BTW. I personally like the 624's a lot better. (no passive radiator)

anonymous Sun, 02/07/2010 - 12:28

thatjeffguy, post: 298591 wrote: Been using my 824s for 5 years or more, absolutely love them.

As with any monitors, you need to "learn" them within the context of your room and mix accordingly. I my case, the monitors + room combo is a little bit bass heavy, so I know to boost the low end of things a little further than I would otherwise think. Otherwise my mixes would end up to thin on the low end.

I believe that my bass-heaviness is more a result of my room than the monitors, but as I said, learn your monitors in context and you'll do fine!

Jeff

Yep. My experience exactly, Jeff. I love my 824s. I've had them for about five years as well, and they sound fantastic in my studio. But it took a little experimentation to get the bottom end right when mixing. I have to bump the lower end of my mixes a little bit for the right balance to translate to other audio systems, despite having an acoustically treated, conically-shaped room.

BusterMudd Thu, 02/11/2010 - 11:48

Davedog, post: 298708 wrote: Just as a point of reference as far as Mackie 824's, I dont believe I've ever heard anyone whos uses them not make a statement about the bass being a little on the heavy side. I'm sure there are great rooms in that bunch. Its the reason I never bought them. They have a nice even upper register, but the passive woofer makes them a bit suspect on tightening the lows.

Yes, Of Course, after a time you learn them and the mixes travel.......I think if you're doing heavier music these would be something you might get into.

I'm a flat response kinda person. I love the Genelec line of speakers. ALL of em.

I come from OLD JBL's. I had a set of 4311's for a number of years. I wish I still had em. I mixed a lot of stuff on Urie's and I'm really a fan of the dual-cone and time aligned speaker systems.

Its simply easier to get it right from the beginning.

But, as has been said, and I agree with it 100%, you teach your ear to compensate for anything, and if you have some skills at mixing, whatever you listen to can do what you want.

BTW. I personally like the 624's a lot better. (no passive radiator)

He-he... I actually have heard a couple engineers not complain about the bass on HR824's... but I have NEVER before heard anyone use the words "I'm a flat response kinda person" in the context of praising JBL 4311s or UREI 8xx monitors! :)
-