Skip to main content

There is this guy offering a MOTU 2408. I think it is the first model that came out (should I say MK1?)

Need some advice on this card. Is there any problem I should have in mind other than its specifications?

The board is not for me but for a guy I know that is mounting his home studio.

Thank you in advance.
eFe

Topic Tags

Comments

maintiger Wed, 11/09/2005 - 08:13

It will only work for mac G4's- the pci slots in the g5's are the wrong size for it. its a 2 piece thing, a pci card and a breakout box. the quality is of the AD conversion is certainly lesser than the newer 2408 mkiii- also I've found that motu does not support fixing them if you are not the original owner. I have a 2408 mkii that does not work and motu would not fix it....

RemyRAD Wed, 11/09/2005 - 09:56

The previous post was partially correct. You did not specify whether it was going into a generic PC or Macintosh. I own a 2408 Mark I I. I wanted the second PCI324 card to install into my second workstation and so could utilize the external breakout box on 2 different machines. MOTU would not sell me a second installable card alone without by another breakout box.

The older units, the mark I, also utilized RCA connectors on the back where the mark I I have quarter inch connectors and extended sample rate capabilities, along with selectable level adjustments.

Generally, I like my unit. I use mine with Adobe audition 1.5 and Sony Vegas 5.

maintiger Wed, 11/09/2005 - 14:32

well, now you have 2 answers, one for mac and one for pcs- probably enough to evaluate and make your decition.

I'm glad remyrad came up with the pc answer as I only have had experience with the 2408 on a mac- I had forgotten about the rca conectors on the original 2408- wow, not very pro, I must say-

RemyRAD Wed, 11/09/2005 - 15:05

Maintiger

I tried to listen to your samples but Windows media player 9 would not allow me play them? What format are they?

Back to topic:
Am I wrong about the Macintosh version? Do they have adjustable buffers, like the PC version? Do they have any kind of setup utilities for Macintosh, that allow a change in buffers?

maintiger Wed, 11/09/2005 - 16:45

audio desk comes with the 2408 mac version- its an audio version of (I think) Digital performer circa around 2.7 (DP now its up to 4.61)- the buffers are adjustable in audio desk

my samples are hosted by nowhere radio and for some reason they do not play in media player- that is getting a little old and I might have to find another host. they do play fine with win amp