Skip to main content

Of these two interfaces, can anyone explain what the specific advantages or disadvantages of one over the other is? What's the difference about having a PCI card interface rather than something that isn't PCI based like the 896? I need some pointers here in this area, if someone could try and fill me in. Thank you.

Topic Tags

Comments

RemyRAD Sat, 04/15/2006 - 21:14

The 2408 has onboard interfaces for both ADAT optical and TASCAM TDIF wired Digital I/O. This unit has 8 analog inputs and outputs along with 24 digital inputs and outputs and of course requires their proprietary PCI card to be installed.

The 896 has a FireWire interface. It allows you to connect to numerous different computers without the need to install anything inside the machine. It also offers higher definition recording than the 2408. It offers 96kHz sampling rate while the 2408 only allows 44.1 and 48kHz sampling. Both have 24-bit converters. While the 896 also cannot handle a full 24 track input source.

I own a 2408 and regularly interface 24 tracks of TASCAM DA88/38/78 tracks and dump into the computer for mixing ITB. If you're not trying to record 24 tracks simultaneously then the 896 may just be the ticket?

Wired and Fired up
Ms. Remy Ann David

anonymous Sun, 04/16/2006 - 13:26

Thanks very much for the response. I'm going to layer on a lot of tracks to my projects and the final number of tracks will most definitely excede 24 in most cases but I can't see myself ever actually recording 24 tracks simultaneously.. although, you never know.. it could happen at a live show or something.

anonymous Mon, 04/17/2006 - 07:08

nihility0000, I agree. It's not the top rung in the A/D/A department, but it is clean. I second the above average. Plus the all the sync capabilities are a plus.

I'm preparing to add the HD192 (12)I/O which puts the system in the upper echelon in conversion. I guess what I'm saying is that it's a good way to get in at a competitive level and grow.

But as with anything else in this game, it's only as good as what you feed it. Take your time throughout the entire signal chain, gain, cables, source, etc. and you will be pleased with the results.

Hesser I like you do more layering of tracks than multitracking at this time, but that's changing as we speak. So I guess erroring on the side of excess, if funds allow, in this case is better than coming up short. Being prepared for the unexpected is key to survival in this crazy game...

Respect
LRG