Skip to main content

Hello . Just about to put some money on an AT-4047 and would like to know if anyone can suggest an alternate microphone that I may have overlooked,
Looking for that smooth dry up front sound.

Topic Tags

Comments

John Stafford Thu, 08/18/2005 - 17:42

The 4047 can, I believe, give you the sound you have described. I think it's a great mic. You really need to try before you buy though. In my experience, it can really come alive if you give it a bit of distance, but if your room sucks that's not an option. Another thing you need to check is that you like the sound of the bass cut if you want to get REAL close. Having said that, I've done plenty of recordings close up without using the bass cut and didn't have problems.

It's a very enjoyable mic to use, but don't forget that it has quite a good 10 dB pad if for when you get over-excited :wink:

John

anonymous Fri, 08/19/2005 - 07:02

I just picked up a 4047 and think it is a very nice microphone. I look forward to trying it out on vocals, but have so far used it on violin and as an 'out-front' kick drum microphone. It was sweet in both applications. Definitely a richer micropone than the 4040's, which I also own and am quite fond of...a good purchase IMHO.

anonymous Sat, 08/20/2005 - 17:21

I absolutely love my 4047. I got one through eBay, and it was worth every penny. By the way, I got it, not new but very well-cared-for used, for $330.

I've used it on only vocals and acousitc guitar so far (on the 12 fret spot, coupled with a C414 on the bridge spot), and it has not failed to disappoint. I would love to get a second for other applications (overheads on some things, etc), when I get the money together for more purchases...

...damn, I'm sounding like a SalesTroll. I'm not, really. I was really just blown away by this mic. I recommend it highly. Good luck!

anonymous Sun, 08/21/2005 - 06:37

No, that's exactly what I meant: disappoint. It's such a fine mic it disappoints me when I use it because it makes me wish I were a better singer! Then I'd be using the mic to the best of its ability.

Understand now? :)

...yes, actually, what I meant was: "it has never let me down". Happy? Maybe I shouldn't post while drinking Mohitos...!! :lol: