Skip to main content

Does anybody here own this unit? I'm seriously considering it and would like to hear what people think.

Topic Tags

Comments

AzureCrystal Tue, 07/01/2003 - 11:25

I've had it for five months now, its the best synth I own, period. I also own a Korg X5D, Alesis QS6(with Qcards), Yamaha CS2x, Waldorf uQ, E-Mu Proteus 2500,yamaha P80, and Red Darkstar. The XV-5050 is by far the best sounding unit of the bunch. A lot of awesome, useable sounds, easy to use multi mode, great D/A converters (I have to keep it at lower volumes than all the others), and a great editor that comes free with it. Identical to the 5080, just missing the sampler. You will love this thing, my songs went from cheesy to professional as soon as I started using it to replace older sounds...

AzureCrystal Fri, 07/04/2003 - 06:59

No voice stealing with the 5050 that's for sure.... Yes, the 5050 drums are also 24 bit, but I try to use all my modules and synths in performance/non-multi mode. I hate dealing with losing EFX on units that only have one or two efx generator in multi mode, so when I can help it, I use all my modules in single patch mode.... BTW, the 5050 has the nicest and most logical display, all the buttons light up and have multiple functions, really is a first class module !!

David French Fri, 07/04/2003 - 09:50

Steve,
the reason I asked about voice stealing is because of a Sound On Sound review I read. What the reviewer said sounds plausible. [[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.sospubs…"]Here[/]="http://www.sospubs…"]Here[/] it is. Check the seventh paragraph. Also, the reviewer really had some gripes with the display; it was consequently quite surprising to see your comment!

David French Mon, 07/07/2003 - 05:55

What brought on the lecture?

The gentleman in SOS pointed out that in the worst case scenario of having an instrument that is constructed from four stereo tones per note, this would reduce the polyphony to only eight notes. He went on to say that he experienced voice stealing while using only a single instrument. Sounds like it could be a limitation to me, but time will tell.

Nate Tschetter Mon, 07/07/2003 - 07:33

Howdy

This sounds more like an issue of voicing. Stereo samples, long releases and lotsa layers will always be taxing on the poly count. But, just because they _can_ do it, doesn't mean they _should_.

I'd rather have better mono compatability for when I play live. No nightclubs around here run stereo FOH and most ROMplers sound different and often "wimpy" in mono.

David French Tue, 07/15/2003 - 06:19

OK. I've had it for about five days now. Initial impression: blown away. So many great, useable sounds; perfect for someone who needs a complete arsenal of realistic and synthetic instruments. I haven't even used the editor yet, and i've only been working with one patch at a time, but within minutes I was adding it's sounds to previously recorded material and the next day I had produced a music bed with 100% XV5050 sounds. In the vernacular, it was off the chizzle. I do hip-hop, dance, and R&B production, and I can safely say that these are some fresh, respectable sounds. I am most definitely happy with my purchase.